Wine 1.4 + yaVDR (Ubuntu 12.04) + mpc-hc

Questions about Wine on Linux
ako673de
Level 1
Level 1

Wine 1.4 + yaVDR (Ubuntu 12.04) + mpc-hc

Post by ako673de »

Hello,

mpc-hc v1.6.5.6366 (as well as MediaPlayerClassic v6.4.9.0) don't work on my system.

I can start the applications, I can open the options dialog, but as soon as I start to play a movie (mkv, e.g. h.264 video + aac audio) the player freezes and after quite some time I get an "unhandled exception code c0000005 ..." error and the application closes (crashes). The same happens when I try to open the "fullscreen" tab in the options.

The older player even throws a "page fault" when trying to enter the "output" configuration screen.

My ~/.wine appears to be a 64bit one. I didn't install any codecs, relying on the fact that mpc-hc normally comes with mkv/h.264/aac support built-in and enabled.

Any ideas how to fix that? I already tried winetricks, registered quartz.dll and devenum.dll but nothing helped...

best regards
ako673de

P.S: Don't recommend to use Linux players! I need a Windows player for around 400gig of VP70 encoded private footage. Or do you know a Linux player with VP70 support?
dimesio

Re: Wine 1.4 + yaVDR (Ubuntu 12.04) + mpc-hc

Post by dimesio »

ako673de
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ako673de »

Well, yes, known in THAT way, but as I wrote I also tried with native quartz and devenum, which is proposed for workaround there.

regards
ako673de

P.S: Does anybody know any other (lightweight) media player (or version of MPC) for alternative, that works with wine? ...which can accept directshow filters.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Try upgrading to the latest development release.
ako673de
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ako673de »

OK, tried, and had some success (no more crashes in the options dialogue), but still no movie will play without crashing the application. The same is true for smplayer. It crashes a bit later, but it crashes. And the display only shows noise.

Ok, the WineHQ entry for mpc-hc in the app database is a bit old, but mpc-hc is in the "gold" list, so I must be missing something very basic, but don't know what. The app database shows really big programs to be compatible, and I can't even get such extremely lightweight standalone apps to work...

What exactly about winetricks? Is quartz.dll and devenum.dll really the only thing that needs to be installed from there?

Little bit off-topic: mplayer offers all the codecs I need under Linux, so this would be my favorite option, but I wasn't able to get this thingy compiled. Any ideas? The problem is, that the codec I need (VP70) is a 32-bit one, and my Linux is 64-bit and therefore I ran into a bunch of linker errors when compiling without "CPU autodetection". One more time I couldn't find a way out...

best regards
ako673de
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

ako673de wrote:The same is true for smplayer. It crashes a bit later, but it crashes. And the display only shows noise.
Are you talking about native smplayer, or do you mean the Windows version running in Wine? If a native app is also crashing that suggests something outside of Wine (e.g, video drivers) is wrong with your system.
Ok, the WineHQ entry for mpc-hc in the app database is a bit old, but mpc-hc is in the "gold" list, so I must be missing something very basic, but don't know what.
Gold means an app requires tweaks of some sort; it could be very easy, or it could be very complicated. In the case of mpc, the test reports are old, and the old formula seems not to be working in current Wine, so we need to figure out what's going wrong. Post terminal output. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log
Little bit off-topic: mplayer offers all the codecs I need under Linux, so this would be my favorite option, but I wasn't able to get this thingy compiled. Any ideas? The problem is, that the codec I need (VP70) is a 32-bit one, and my Linux is 64-bit and therefore I ran into a bunch of linker errors when compiling without "CPU autodetection". One more time I couldn't find a way out...
Ask on the Ubuntu forum. It's not a Wine question.
ako673de
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ako673de »

dimesio wrote:Are you talking about native smplayer, or do you mean the Windows version running in Wine? If a native app is also crashing that suggests something outside of Wine (e.g, video drivers) is wrong with your system.
I was talking about windows smplayer of course. (Linux) mplayer is working, well, except for that it is 64-bit and therefore does not play most media formats.
dimesio wrote:In the case of mpc, the test reports are old, and the old formula seems not to be working in current Wine, so we need to figure out what's going wrong. Post terminal output. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log
From the installation process:

Code: Select all

fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (1): stub
fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (1): stub
fixme:win:DisableProcessWindowsGhosting : stub
fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilter c057 00000001
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x100b8 enable 0: stub!
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x100b8 enable -1: stub!
fixme:shell:SHAutoComplete stub
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x100c4 enable 0: stub!
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x100c4 enable -1: stub!
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x100ce enable 0: stub!
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x100ce enable -1: stub!
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x100c2 enable 0: stub!
fixme:sfc:SfcIsFileProtected ((nil), L"C:\\Program Files\\MPC-HC\\unins000.exe") stub
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x100c2 enable -1: stub!
From running the installed application (mpc-hc v1.6.5.6366.x86 on a WINEARCH=win32 wine):

fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
fixme:thread:GetThreadPreferredUILanguages 52, 0x33a19c, 0x33a20c 0x33a1a4
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x1326b0,0x33a368: stub
fixme:devenum:DEVENUM_ICreateDevEnum_CreateClassEnumerator Category {33d9a760-90c8-11d0-bd43-00a0c911ce86} not found
fixme:devenum:DEVENUM_ICreateDevEnum_CreateClassEnumerator Category {33d9a761-90c8-11d0-bd43-00a0c911ce86} not found
fixme:wtsapi:WTSRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0x100b4 0x00000000
fixme:ntdll:NtSetInformationProcess (0xffffffff,0x00000021,0x33a56c,0x00000004) stub
fixme:shell:ShellView_OnNotify LVN_KEYDOWN key=0x00000011
err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x7bc495bd
Best regards
ako673de
ako673de
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ako673de »

Already having an idea?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

I downloaded MPC-HC.1.6.5.6366.x86.exe and it works fine on my system in 1.5.22 after installing devenum and quartz with winetricks. Retest in current wine with winetricks devenum quartz. If it still crashes, post terminal output from running with the native dlls.
ako673de
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ako673de »

The given output is with exactly those native dlls installed, and with 1.5.22. Did you need to install any codecs? Could you give me a piece of the working footage for testing? Did you try to play a movie anyway. Crashes only happen when I start to play something. Do you have any special configuration in mpc-hc? Video output configuration = overlay mixer?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The given output is with exactly those native dlls installed, and with 1.5.22
The output you posted contains

fixme:devenum:DEVENUM_ICreateDevEnum_CreateClassEnumerator Category {33d9a760-90c8-11d0-bd43-00a0c911ce86} not found
Fixmes are for Wine's builtin functions; you would not have that if you were using native devenum.
Could you give me a piece of the working footage for testing? Did you try to play a movie anyway. Crashes only happen when I start to play something. Do you have any special configuration in mpc-hc? Video output configuration = overlay mixer?
Try this file from the Internet Archive: http://archive.org/download/TheEruption ... Helens.mp4. It plays perfectly on my system from start to finish. I did not install any codecs in Wine and did not change any settings in the player.

I have tested a few other files, and the results are mixed; some work, some don't, but none crash the player. What I have found, though, is that you cannot play more than one video in a row; the player will hang if you try to do that.
ako673de
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ako673de »

OK, so my devenum and quartz installation went down the drain, eh? In fact what I did was to install them to a separate prefix (because I couldn't find a way to instruct winetricks to install to the main prefix, any ideas about that?) and then copy them to the main prefix under ".../drive_c/windows/system32" and then "regsvr32" them with regsvr32 from the main prefix (at least I guess so). Anything wrong up to here? How can I find out that the right prefix is using the right dlls?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Not sure what you mean by "the main prefix." Winetricks by default will install devenum and quartz to ~/.wine unless you specify a different wineprefix:

WINEPREFIX=/path/to/wineprefix sh winetricks devenum quartz
(use the actual path, of course).
and then copy them to the main prefix under ".../drive_c/windows/system32" and then "regsvr32" them with regsvr32 from the main prefix
You should have used regsvr32 from the wineprefix you were registering them in, but that's probably not the problem, because neither of those dlls need to be registered manually. Since you didn't mention setting overrides in winecfg, my guess is that you neglected to do so. Winetricks does that for you--in the wineprefix where you actually installed devenum and quartz to. Without the override, Wine will continue to use its builtin versions.

More info on how to use wineprefixes: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#wineprefix.

Create a new wineprefix just for MPC-HC, install it, then install winetricks devenum quartz to that wineprefix.
ako673de
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ako673de »

OK, I can report success!!! Thank you very much.

But I have to tell what led me to the dead end, maybe somebody might find it useful:

I didn't install devenum and quartz via commandline parameter of winetricks, but inside the GUI that opens if you start winetricks without parameters. Then I installed mpc-hc from there and it automatically ended up in another than the default wine prefix (~/.wine). Then I installed devenum and quartz from the same GUI. Then I copied everything to the main prefix. And that failed.

The reason becomes obvious only if devenum/quartz installation is started via commandline directly, because then it shows what it EXACTLY does to install devenum and quartz. It's not only copying two dlls, it's much more! Directx is installed along the way, some mysterious registry file is run, afm...

So, whoever encounters a similar problem: Do not try to move anything installed by winetricks between prefixes manually!!!

best regards
ako673de

P.S.: First investigations show that video playback in wine mpc-hc is very poor. It's stuttering, broken menu bar at the bottom and in fullscreen mode "noise" lines on top and bottom of the screen. Any ideas about that?