Can a fixme be a problem? - program doesn't start

Questions about Wine on Linux
Stellenbosch

Can a fixme be a problem? - program doesn't start

Post by Stellenbosch »

Hi,

I'm trying to get a little program run with wine. I need it to get access to a tipping bucket (measures rainfall) via USB. The porgramm is called Tinytag Explorer. I got it installed but it just doesn't want to start. I managed to eradicate all error and fixme manages so far and now I'm left with only one:

(terminal output)

Code: Select all

fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0x20034, 0x1f6118): stub
Does anyone have an idea about this or, to be more precise, does anyone can give me an answer whether this message can be the reason for the program not to start? Because when I google this in the forum, I always read posts which say: Don't care for the fixmes, they are just for developers. Can anyone confirm this in my case? Or is there indeed a solution for that problem?

Thanks a lot, Stellenbosch

Running:
Ubuntu 12.04
Wine 1.4.1 from the Wine-PPA
no other Windows-Software installed
fresh Wine - no changes in config or the registry
dimesio

Re: Can a fixme be a problem? - program doesn't start

Post by dimesio »

Stellenbosch wrote: I need it to get access to a tipping bucket (measures rainfall) via USB.
If it uses Windows hardware drivers, it won't work in Wine.
I managed to eradicate all error and fixme manages so far
Any what exactly did you do to accomplish that?
Does anyone have an idea about this or, to be more precise, does anyone can give me an answer whether this message can be the reason for the program not to start? Because when I google this in the forum, I always read posts which say: Don't care for the fixmes, they are just for developers. Can anyone confirm this in my case? Or is there indeed a solution for that problem?
Fixmes are unimplemented functions. Yes, they can be the reason an app will not work, but they can also be harmless. I've seen that particular fixme from apps that do work, so I doubt it's the problem.
Wine 1.4.1 from the Wine-PPA
Try upgrading to 1.5.19. (Do not use 1.5.20 unless you build it yourself; the Ubuntu 1.5.20 packages are broken.)
fresh Wine - no changes in config or the registry
That brings me back to my first question: how did you "eradicate" all other fixmes and error messages without any such changes?
Stellenbosch

Post by Stellenbosch »

Hi dimesio,

thanks for your quick reply. I'm new to wine and not too much into Ubuntu as well, that's why I'm trying to answer your questions at my best:
dimesio wrote:
Stellenbosch wrote:I need it to get access to a tipping bucket (measures rainfall) via USB.
If it uses Windows hardware drivers, it won't work in Wine.
How do I get to know, whether it does use Windows hardware drivers?
dimesio wrote:
I managed to eradicate all error and fixme manages so far.
Any what exactly did you do to accomplish that?
I'm sorry, I can't reproduce the error messages exactly but this is how I fixed the problems:

First error:

p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Due to this bug. I fixed it this way.

Second error:

This error only appeared after I started another .exe file which was also in the folder of the "Tinytag Explorer" (also after I restarted the computer.) There were several .exe files in this folder, so I tried to start all of them in the beginning, to see if any of them works. However, setting up a fresh wine (with deleting .wine before) and installing the software again let the message disappear.

First fixme:

err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_mime_type_entry error writing file /home/carbiocial/.local/share/mime/packages/x-wine-extension-jf/content type.xml
The problem was that the folder didn't exist, so I created it and the fixme disappered.

Second fixme:

fixme:ntdll:find_reg_tz_info Can't find matching timezone information in the registry for bias 180, std (d/m/y): 0/00/0000, dlt (d/m/y): 0/00/0000
I solved it with this command:

carbiocial@carbiocial-Latitude-E5420:~$ TZ=America/New_York wine C:\\Program\ Files\ \(x86\)\\Tinytag\\Tinytag\ Explorer\\aspen.exe
These are all the errors and fixmes that I got (apart from the one I already posted).
dimesio wrote:Try upgrading to 1.5.19. (Do not use 1.5.20 unless you build it yourself; the Ubuntu 1.5.20 packages are broken.)
Where do I get 1.5.19 from? It's not in the Wine-PPA on launchpad, is it? I found this site but when I try to install the binary (for instance: wine1.5-amd64_1.5.19-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb] I'm told that the "dependency is not satisfiable". So this is probably not the right package for 12.04.
dimesio wrote:how did you "eradicate" all other fixmes and error messages without any such changes?
As you can see I didn't have to change anything in the .wine folder - so I can start with a "fresh" wine now witout having these fixmes and errors.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Stellebosch
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Ubuntu has uploaded a fixed 1.5.20 package, so just install that.

When you connect the device, does Ubuntu recognize it? If your OS doesn't see it, Wine won't either.
Stellenbosch

Post by Stellenbosch »

Hi dimesio,

I installed 1.5.20 but it doesn't change anything. I just get the same fixme when I try to start the program. :(

When I connect the device to the computer nothing happens, but I don't know whether anything is supposed to happen because it's no mass storage device.
Hardinfo doesn't show a connected USB device (see appended screenshot). But Hardinfo also doesn't check when I connect my smart phone as mass storage device which is recognized by Ubuntu.

lsusb gives me the following:

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
Does that mean that Ubuntu recognizes the device and it can work with wine?
Attachments
Screenshot Hardinfo
Screenshot Hardinfo
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

It appears to be a USB-Serial device, so you might be able to get it to work by creating a symlink for the device in the wineprefix's /dosdevices directory. The User Guide has a brief explanation: http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guid ... ure#AEN717. The example given is for a plain serial port; for USB-serial use /dev/ttyUSB* (where * is whatever number your device appears as when plugged in) instead of /dev/ttyS*).
Stellenbosch

Post by Stellenbosch »

Hi desmio,

Thanks for this explanation. It will help me to get some other scientific equipment run (because the software of the other equipment works in wine). I gonna try this as soon as possible with the other stuff.
Still it doesn't help me with tipping buckets for now, because the software doesn't run ... Do you have any further idea about this problem?

Appreciate your help, Stellenbosch