A problem with a windows control under wine OSLO LT

Questions about Wine on Linux
Aajohn
Level 2
Level 2

A problem with a windows control under wine OSLO LT

Post by Aajohn »

I've installed a unusually capable free optical design package called Oslo LT. It raytraces optics and analyses them etc. :D Can't remember the correct windows terminology but it use a main window with a variable number of sub windows that are confined within the main window and can be minimised. It appears from HEX to be have written in C++ but may have some parts of a spread sheet buried in it. Many optical design programs start like that. The main data entry sub window is spread sheet like and can't be resized horizontally.

Everything works fine but for 2 of it's features.

One of the problems may be down to the install program not installing everything that is needed. There is a click on a question mark type help feature. The help window pops up showing nothing and disappears shortly afterwards. This isn't much of a problem for me.

More seriously there is a facility to use sliders to vary the parameters that make up the system of lenses. This is one of it's neat feature. These slider controls pop up and disappear all most instantaneously.

Same things happen using wine direct or the QT4 interface - that allows me to set a virtual window size for the app. I'm running OpenSuse + 11.4 KDE. I've tried using winetricks but all of the links seem to be broken, downloaded of it's home page.

I'm wondering if the problem could be cured by installing dll's or etc but have no idea where they would have to be put or what would be needed. Everything else works - graphics, printing, usual buttons, minimising, opening and closing sub windows, scroll wheel zooming sub windows etc etc and the rather extensive maths used by the program. Bit sad as there is nothing available like it for linux. It's amazingly powerful for a freebe and unlike others can cope with 10 optical surfaces.

Hope some one can help.

John
dimesio

Re: A problem with a windows control under wine OSLO LT

Post by dimesio »

You didn't mention what Wine version you're using. If it's not the latest development release, upgrade. If it still doesn't work, post terminal output.
Aajohn
Level 2
Level 2

Re: A problem with a windows control under wine OSLO LT

Post by Aajohn »

I'm using version 1.4-12.1 and Q4Wine 0.120+r1.11. Have tried to upgrade to 1.5.20.207.1 but have dependency problems that don't make much sense. They state that the earlier debug is needed. The 1.5..... debug does install. The dep... problem may be down to yast (Yet Another System Utility.) being partly broken by an update so it isn't reported fully. I normally install by opening an rpm with yast under kde. I'm not much of a console person. The rpm's for 1.5..... wine where out of an opensuse 11.4 repository.

These are very old controls that are causing the problem. Oslo hasn't really changed for many many years. Trying to track down what the code used I find rollball, sliderwin and combobox. I haven't tried using wine for at least 6 years but not for oslo. At that time there was some suggestions on the web as regard to fixes for problems like this such as adding dll's etc. This didn't work out at the time.

Terminal output? As far as wine is concerned it seems all is ok.

John