SC2 and WoW installers froze at "Checking for updates" :(

Questions about Wine on Linux
PetyrVeliki

SC2 and WoW installers froze at "Checking for updates" :(

Post by PetyrVeliki »

Hey, huys :)

I'm trying to install StarCraft 2 and World of Warcraft, and so I downloaded both installers, installed wine - it's 1.4.1 now. I made both installers executable ...

BUT ... for both of them - when I launch them - they start with "Checking for updates..." - and no progress at all.

Tried with starting the launchers directly and running them from the terminal - one and the same. Also - installed a few things from winetricks, cause I read that they are prerequisites for StarCraft 2.

Code: Select all

winetricks droid fontfix fontsmooth-rgb gdiplus gecko
winetricks vcrun2008 vcrun2005 allfonts d3dx9 win7
winecfg
Also - tried with my laptop conneted to internet via cable and not wiresell. Nothing helped so far.

So ... do you have any idea? ... I'll be very gratefull ... :) ...
PetyrVeliki

Re: SC2 and WoW installers froze at "Checking for updates" :

Post by PetyrVeliki »

I forgot to mention that I'm on Kubuntu 12.10 64 bit. I also installed ia32-libs-multiarch:i386 ... no result.

Also - when I run the installers - nevermind which one - in the Konsole - I see many lines ending with "... already in cache - don't know what to do!"
And on every minute it starts again and again, and then stops, and wait for a while again. The last lines before stopping are kind of "Deferred delete of 'xxxx' resource completed"

Any ideas? ...
PetyrVeliki

Post by PetyrVeliki »

Well, my friends :) ... I did it ;) ...

With this repository: http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu. So, I removed 1.4 of Wine, then I did autoremove, then I added the repository and installed wine 1.5. Then the launcher continued ...

(It gave me an error with error code BLZPTS00008, I downloaded the installer again, and so - now I'm installing the game ...)

Hope this helps someone else ;) ...
Chris-WF
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chris-WF »

I don't play Starcraft2 since 2 years. At Early updates i had to kill the BlizzardDownloader.exe in top. Other users set mshtml to native in winecfg to get the downloader working.

Edit: Are you sure that the update-Server isn't just offline?
shapil

Post by shapil »

I had similar problem, updating wine to latest dev. Did the trick everything works now :)