Wine audio distortion and dropouts

Questions about Wine on Linux
Stealth Civet

Wine audio distortion and dropouts

Post by Stealth Civet »

Hi, I'm having a slight audio issue with my installation of wine. I'm using the newest build and Ubuntu 12.04 on a presario cq62 laptop with the onboard audio. When opening any game in steam(through Wine) the sound starts normal then within 10-15 seconds it gets really garbled,choppy and distorted. If I exit and go back in to the game I get no sound at all. I've been googleing the issue and ran across a forum that said to use winetricks and set the audio to ALSA, but when I do it basically just resets so when I open a game within about 10-15 seconds I get the same distortion again. I'm fairly new to Ubuntu and linux in general, Just installed for the first time a week ago. The strange thing is the sound was working fine up until today. The only things i've installed were VLC,Nexuis,Steam (through Wine) along with about 10 games all through steam. Any suggestions would be great,as I said i'm fairly new to linux so take it easy on me lol.
dimesio

Re: Wine audio distortion and dropouts

Post by dimesio »

Assuming you're using the Ubuntu Wine package, ask for help on the Ubuntu forum. The Ubuntu packages include changes to the sound system that are not supported here.