[gdiplus] crash when rendering text

Questions about Wine on Linux
Limhes

[gdiplus] crash when rendering text

Post by Limhes »

I've just installed ChemBioOffice (for drawing chemical structures) and it works well when using the builtin gdiplus library (not anti-aliased). However, when I use the native gdiplus library, drawing lines works perfect, but Wine crashes when I try to put text on screen.

System: Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit, Wine 1.4 under POL
Installed under prefix: dotnet40 and gdiplus

What can I do to fix font rendering? Thanks in advance!

From error log:
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000048 at address 0x4ec7c71d (thread 0009), starting debugger...
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000048 in 32-bit code (0x4ec7c71d).

Backtraces to gdiplus
dimesio

Re: [gdiplus] crash when rendering text

Post by dimesio »

If it works well using builtin gdiplus, why are you using native?

Your Wine version is old; upgrade to the latest development release.
Limhes

Post by Limhes »

dimesio wrote:If it works well using builtin gdiplus, why are you using native?

Your Wine version is old; upgrade to the latest development release.
Thanks, but "works well" means everything works, except for anti-aliasing, which I need for exporting graphics.

Also with latest Wine 1.5.x 64-bit, same thing: works with builtin (but anti-aliasing implicitly disabled) and with native (when only drawing lines (no text) or when anti-aliasing is explicitly disabled).

Let me refrase the problem: anti-aliasing works for lines, not text. When trying to render anti-aliased text, it crashes.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

By "latest" do you mean you've tested 1.5.17? It includes a fix for subpixel font antialiasing in the DIB engine.

As for the crash with native, it could be due to nonconformant TTF fonts on your system. Try winetricks fontfix.
Limhes

Post by Limhes »

Indeed 1.5.17 (both 32 and 64 bit tried).

The suggested winetricks fontfix also didn't work, unfortunately. Unless I did something stupid; I just ran the command (without prefix, so for global wine?) "winetricks fontfix" and it put out "Executing w_do_call fontfix\nExecuting load_fontfix". Guess that's right?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You say you have dotnet40 installed. Is that because wine-mono doesn't work? If you haven't tested it with wine-mono instead of dotnet40, please do so. You also need to test in plain 1.5.17--no POL.

If the anti-aliasing problem exists in plain 1.5.17, you can file a bug for that.

Problems caused by using native dlls are not valid bugs, so you can't file a bug for the crash with native gdiplus.
Limhes

Post by Limhes »

Thanks for the replies! But, unfortunately no solution yet (mono, standalone wine). Same problem persists.

I just found this page on wine/gdiplus, which was updated last June and states:
TODO ... Smoothing mode (anti-aliasing)
Is this the case? And does this mean that with the builtin gdiplus it is (in general) not able to use anti-aliasing? If so, is it possible to substitute another version of gdiplus, e.g. Mono's implementation?

For clarity I attached a screenshot. In the right part (native), when trying to draw the N on the benzene ring the program crashes (as is the case with all text).
Attachments
chemdraw gdiplus issue.png