help running TI smartview emulator under wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
jpberroir

help running TI smartview emulator under wine

Post by jpberroir »

Hello

As a teacher, I have received a license to use Texas Instrument's "TI Smartview" emulator: this is a program perfect to teach the classroom what can be done with a calculator.
Yet this soft is developed for Windows and Mac... so is its CASIO counterpart.

So I've tried with wine. Everything went fine with the Casio soft. Install went also fine with Texas Instrument too, but upon run, you first have to activate the product. And there, no ways (internet not detected and other weird errors). The master program calls many others, this does not happen under wine. I had to use a friend's computer under windows to know with which options the other softs are called, and then run them manually.... No documentation, TI support answers 'no support for linux'), so I turn myself to the community.

Did somebody try the same? If someone wishes to try, a trial version can be download from TI education website. The procedure is the same as for the commercial version.

The funny thing about it: TI smartview is written in Java. As far as I understand, one of the reasons to choose Java is that it runs on whatever architecture...
dimesio

Re: help running TI smartview emulator under wine

Post by dimesio »

jpberroir wrote: The funny thing about it: TI smartview is written in Java.
Did you install Java in Wine? If it's a Java app, you need to.
jpberroir

Re: help running TI smartview emulator under wine

Post by jpberroir »

dimesio wrote:
jpberroir wrote: The funny thing about it: TI smartview is written in Java.
Did you install Java in Wine? If it's a Java app, you need to.

Well I didn't, but it is here. Actually I am not sure of which is the main language. If you have a look at the install dir, you see lots of jar files as well as dll and exe. There is also a jre folder which contains many executable files, among which java.exe.

So I guess that this soft comes with a java distribution. It sounds like a java core with a windows API.

It's hard to me to describe exactly what is going wrong.
The install process went OK : I could see the wizard opening, windows with a java look, I could enter some information (paths, etc) and it finished succesfully.

Upon run, a window opens with the TI logo, some logs (initializing ... OK bla bla) and then : "waiting for activation ... " and it freezes.
On a Windows computer, a program called activation.exe is called. It allows to enter the license number, to connect to TI web site, to activate the product and that's it. You have to run it once.

On linux/wine, this program is not launched. I ran it manually by checking which options are used under windows (basically: paths) . Then I can enter the license number but it fails to contact TI. My Internet connection is however quite good and does not use a proxy. I've checked in the provided java distribution (jre/bin/javacpl.exe) networks parameters: direct connection.

So ..... One thing's for sure: this is beyond my competencies!

Hence my call to Linux-using colleagues who use TI smartview ... are there any??

thanks in advance!

JPB