move wineprefix between computers or keep for reinstalls

Questions about Wine on Linux
JDog514
Level 2
Level 2

move wineprefix between computers or keep for reinstalls

Post by JDog514 »

Hello,

I recently installed Dragon Naturally Speaking 12 under Wine 1.4.1 (in a 32 bit WINEPrefix) on my 64 bit Linux Mint 13 Machine. Would it be possible to back up the wineprefix in case I reinstall or upgrade my OS so that my program will be functional? Basically, is it possible to run it without reinstalling every time? Thank you very much.
dimesio

Re: move wineprefix between computers or keep for reinstalls

Post by dimesio »

Yes.
JDog514
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JDog514 »

Ok next question what is the easiest way to go about doing this? I've copied the wineprefix over to a USB hard drive but how would I proceed after redownloading WINE etc? Thank you very much.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Just copy it back to wherever you normally keep your wineprefixes (probably your home directory).
JDog514
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JDog514 »

Thank you very much
JDog514
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JDog514 »

I just tried running it directly from my wineprefix directory and it comes up with the serious error and needs to close message. However, I have used pywinery (a frontend) and it works fine though that.

I have not reinstalled, I am just trying out the possible scanarios. Any ideas as to what is going on? Also, unlike older versions of wine, there is no icon on my desktop and i am just able to run it though that frontend or by right clicking on the .exe (which does not work and gives an error)