Best practice install/refer self compiled wine on 64 bit

Questions about Wine on Linux
K@sper

Best practice install/refer self compiled wine on 64 bit

Post by K@sper »

Hey,

Lately, I have been looking for a good way to install a self compiled version of wine on 64 bit. I tried the approaches described on this site (use a chroot to compile 32 bit wine for example, tried to compile the 64 bit version) but both seem to have issues when it comes down to the installing part of it.

Compiling the 64 bit version seems to work nicely, I get all sorts of nice binaries like winecfg en wine64 and so, but Steam doesn't seem to like me when I try to install a game, steam itself installs through winetricks, but when I try to start it afterwards (Steam), no reaction, no output, nothing. I tried with exporting the variable WINE=wine64, but that didn't bring success either.

The chroot on the other hand only gives me one binary I can notice, under /var/chroot/wine, called wine. Exporting WINE=/var/chroot/wine/wine seemed to work nicely for some time, winetricks respects the variable as well, but today I thought, what about trying winecfg, and it seems that doesn't really exist as a binary, not even a find in the chroot returns something. I can apparently access the winecfg through running winetricks as well, but I'm a bit uncertain whether I my compile/install/refer wine thingy works.

I expected this to be a rather frequently asked question, but I don't really seem to find something along these lines. Anybody wants to shed some light how he/she deals with the self compiled versions of wine and, maybe in particulary, wine64 with steam? Am I missing something obvious? Sorry if this is answered somewhere else before, but I really didn't find anything. Please note that I'm not asking about how to compile it, that seems to work well, it's the step after and what the best/better practice is that people use over here.

Kasper
DanKegel

Re: Best practice install/refer self compiled wine on 64 bit

Post by DanKegel »

What version of Linux?
I think it's only Ubuntu 12.04 and later that made life hellish for building 32 bit wine on 64 bit systems with their
long-awaited, valiant, but incomplete multiarch support.

Personally, I keep a 32 bit Ubuntu 12.04 system for most wine stuff, and a 64 bit Ubuntu 11.04 system
for when I need to test 64 bit wine stuff. But then I'm lazy.
K@sper

Post by K@sper »

Yeah, you're right, ubuntu 12.04, should have mentioned that. And indeed, in March I didn't have this problem yet ;-). Didn't know this when I was upgrading. Do I conclude now there's no elegant/half-elegant solution to this problem, or didn't you really put time and effort in setting it up for 64 bit (and is there still hope, I mean ;-))? Because downgrading, well, I don't know. I can let that idea sink in a little.
DanKegel

Post by DanKegel »

There is no fix other than using a chroot.