How do you get The Bat! email client under Wine to use GnuPG

Questions about Wine on Linux
mfpa

How do you get The Bat! email client under Wine to use GnuPG

Post by mfpa »

Hi I have installed The Bat! email client <http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... ion&iId=68>) under Wine but I cannot figure out how to get it to interact with GnuPG.

On Windows, GnuPG becomes selectable in The Bat!'s "choose OpenPGP version" screen once you add the location of GnuPG.exe to the Windows PATH environment variable. Is there a way to get The Bat! under Wine to use the GnuPG already present on my Linux installation, or do I need to add the Windows GnuPG.exe to Wine's PATH environment variable?

Wine version 1.3.28
Lubuntu version 11.10
The Bat! version 4.0.38
GnuPG version 1.4.11
mfpa

Re: How do you get The Bat! email client under Wine to use G

Post by mfpa »

The workaround I have found for now is:-

In Wine's "Program Files" directory use a symlink "GnuPG" to the Windows folder that contains the gpg.exe and iconv.dll files. Add this location to Wine's PATH environment variable as "C:\Program Files\GnuPG". To use the keyrings and gpg.conf from the Windows installation add a symlink "GnuPG" in Wine's "user1/Application Data" directory which points to the corresponding Windows location (although I think these files are no different in a Linux installation).

The Bat! now finds GnuPG and is able to use it, but very slowly. GnuPG operations seem to take about three times as long as they do when called from The Bat! under Windows.

Is this sluggishness normal? Is anybody using a better workaround?