Level 1

No sound / Steam or [wintricks steam] do something I can't

Post by usfna »

Hi!

I have this Problem with several steam games:
- Xcom Enemy Unknown
- All Zombies must die
- Borderlands

If I'm not mistaken, they all use the unreal engine 3.
- Sound works fine if steam is installed in a clean wineprefix.
- But I couldn't get sound working without the help of "winetricks steam" if my life depended on it.

I have several older wine prefixes where steam has already been installed for a while (one of those I'd love to use as my main steam prefix, but...:). Sound does not work there for any of those games. If I start -B the games with a WINEPREFIX=x where steam (and at least one game, so it installs dx) have been installed recently & first, sound works fine. According to the Xcom AppDB entry (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=26831) it looks, as if other users are having the same Problem.

Can't find any potentially related error messages: there just does not seem to be any sound at all. Tried about anything you can do with dc & audio in multiple clean prefixes (removed pulseaudio to use alsa only... installed xact + extracted some files manually... tried an up to date full / original xd installer and I tried a lot of random "desperate" stuff found all over the net...), nothing got me sound in a steamless prefix. I guess this is not a wine bug, because the games potentially run fine - I just can't figure out how to make them run fine manually... so... any ideas on how to figure out what's wrong?

thx.
dimesio

Re: No sound / Steam or [wintricks steam] do something I can

Post by dimesio »

Since winetricks steam fixes it, take a look at what that winetricks verb does.
usfna
Level 1
Level 1

Post by usfna »

I did that. Couldn't figure out how to reproduce the "fix" - guess steam's game installer (the part where a steam window pops up and it says: "installing direct x... installing physx...") is also involved / important. But Steam does not always do that, only under some circumstances. Probably steam won't "fix things" if DX is already installed (manually or by an older version of steam).... so... am I making any sense?

It's bound to be possible to get the sound working in older prefixes (or prefixes without steam), yet multiple users seem to have failed to do so (looking at the example game / XCOM I see multiple entries where people that presumably use older steam installed or "steamless copies" of the game fail to get sound working). I didn't manage to figure out what exactly makes sound work if I install steam in a clean prefix.
usfna
Level 1
Level 1

Post by usfna »

After bluntly copying the windows directory of the wineprefix in which sound works over the windows directory of the prefix with no sound, it was fixed. Modified nothing else. Didn't manage to do a proper diff of the directories though, because I somehow misplaced the backup of the broken prefix.
aesathog

Post by aesathog »

I did not have this problem before, sound always worked for me. However when I upgraded to wine 1.5.17 I decided to install steam in a fresh prefix (to clean up my rather messy default prefix). So I wintricks installed steam, then installed xcom through steam, steam claimed to install directx, xcom runs with no sound (and the game now starts minimized, it never used to do that).
aesathog

Post by aesathog »

aesathog wrote:I did not have this problem before, sound always worked for me. However when I upgraded to wine 1.5.17 I decided to install steam in a fresh prefix (to clean up my rather messy default prefix). So I wintricks installed steam, then installed xcom through steam, steam claimed to install directx, xcom runs with no sound (and the game now starts minimized, it never used to do that).
After yet another reinstall, (in a fresh prefix) sound now works, but it still starts minimized. I guess I can live with that. I don't know what, if anything, I did different this time.