Deathdrome issues on Wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
F_style
Level 4
Level 4

Deathdrome issues on Wine

Post by F_style »

Hello.

I decided to recreate my previous thread (http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17337) in a more correct form, in the right section (since I'm Linux user) and with more details, even if it's not even read because of the "unknown" game...

I'm using latest Wine 1.5.14 on openSUSE 12.2 x86_64. I previously installed the game in a Windows XP VM on Windows 7 to get the installed game files (the installer doesn't work itself on Windows 7). Then copied the files to my Linux rig and tried it with Wine and an emulated desktop (all other prefix settings by default, so it's emulating an XP machine). When trying to run it it asked for a file, which is odd since the game didn't use to do that, but anyway I just selected it from within the game's files, and then poped the message "insert your cd", which meant it worked, since one normally would need the game's cd.

But then I tried with the no-cd patch, which is not illegal anymore, one can get it freely with the patch included. Tried again and I got these errors:
http://www.imagebam.com/image/5a34b0213704856
http://www.imagebam.com/image/03ac04213704857
And the console output was:

Code: Select all

user@linux-njo4:~> wine Documents/DDrome/Run/ddrome.exe
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f79c,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 8
fixme:d3d_surface:surface_init Trying to create a render target that isn't in the default pool.
fixme:d3d_surface:surface_init Trying to create a render target that isn't in the default pool.
wine: Unhandled privileged instruction at address 0x4474ea (thread 0009), starting debugger...
Then just out of curiosity I tried running the game directly on a Windows 7 PC, and it strangely worked fine (though with no sound) even with the no-cd patch, so I was thinking if I created a prefix emulating Windows 7 it could work, but I don't remember how to do this.

So, 2 questions:
Based on console output, what could be the problem?
How can I create a prefix emulating Windows 7?

Thanks for your help.
DanKegel

Re: Deathdrome issues on Wine

Post by DanKegel »

A backtrace might be helpful. (The 2nd dialog offers to show you one and save it in a text file for you.)

Emulating win7 usually doesn't do much, but you can try it by using either winecfg or winetricks to set the needed registry entry on your current prefix.
F_style
Level 4
Level 4

Post by F_style »

Thanks for answering.

Tried what you said, but it seems when getting the error Wine itself kind of crashes itself, tried amplifying Wine's window and got:
http://paste.opensuse.org/48796663
Doesn't allow to see the full dialog window.
Disabling virtual desktop doesn't work neither, just Wine crashing...

Any other way to get the backtrace?
And how would I use winecfg or winetricks to create a Windows 7 prefix or any other Windows version?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You can select the Windows version on the first tab you see when you run winecfg.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Afaiu the game was developed for Win95, wouldn't it be wiser to try Win98 in winecfg?
F_style
Level 4
Level 4

Post by F_style »

Already tried that with same results, either Win98 and Win7.
Reason I asked about setting Windows version was because I thought there were differences between doing it from winecfg and with winetricks. I also thought there was a specific command to create a prefix with Windows version previously set...
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

This may be part of the problem:

Code: Select all

fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 8
In really old wine versions you needed to set your X Desktop to 8bit color depth (24bit color depth corresponds to 32 BPP, 16bit color depth to 16 BPP) for games that wanted to switch to 8BPP. Nowadays there don't seem to be many people still running 8 BPP games. I have no idea, if this is still necessary.