DirectX Issues?

Questions about Wine on Linux
ntg255
Level 1
Level 1

DirectX Issues?

Post by ntg255 »

Hello. I'm new to the forums, so I don't know much forum etiquette, forgive me. I have used Wine for three years to run Microsoft Office (but I decided MS Office just sucked) and it runs stuff very well. I have installed Linux on all of my home computers now, but Halo and other games don't work. I have a feeling that this has to do with DirectX. In Halo, I can see the background, but the objects (text, menu items, and pictures) are all green. I just don't know why. When I go ~/.wine/user.reg, I change the renderer from "native" to "opengl", but that causes an "exception". Please answer.

~NTG255~
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Re: DirectX Issues?

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

please tell us, which graphics card you are using. Which drivers, their version, open/closed source? In general it's recommended to use closed source drivers, if available (radeon, nvidia), though the latest opensource radeon drivers are reported to work well with wine, sometimes better than fglrx (radeon closed source driver). If you are on intel graphics, and things aren't working, you may have to file a bug with either wine or intel.

Please upgrade to latest wine and latest drivers, run Halo from command line and post terminal output here.
ntg255
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ntg255 »

I have 512MB RAM, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950, and I have the latest version of WINE available in the Debian repositories. I use the open source radeon drivers because it works way better than the fglrx driver. Just wait a while, I need to find the Halo CD again...
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

512 MB RAM on your graphics card or complete system memory? If you are using integrated intel graphics, you certainly shouldn't install radeon driver. Are you using a radeon graphics card together with integrated intel graphics?
ntg255
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ntg255 »

No, total RAM. I assume GFX RAM is about 16 - 24 MB.
Thanks for suggestion! I think I got Halo to work for a while. I just see what happens later.
:)
~NTG255~
ntg255
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ntg255 »

Ah! The new drivers worked! Thanks! It's finally playable.
The gameplay is choppy and a tad laggy, but nonetheless playable!
However, this is a problem: black HUD and menu, like this:
There's another post, but their solution didn't work:
http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=14020
ATI video cards suck, I guess, but I have laptops, which are OEM.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

please run from command line and post terminal output. If you are suffering from that "does not support enough uniform components to run this shader" issue, there won't be much you can do, apart from getting new hardware.
ntg255
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ntg255 »

Ah. I see. Thank you very much for all your help! Well, I guess I'll be going now!
~NTG255~
ntg255
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ntg255 »

I tried disabling GLSL again, and it worked!
Update ^^^