Hearts of Iron 3 failing to launch

Questions about Wine on Linux
UnitedAnarchy
Level 2
Level 2

Hearts of Iron 3 failing to launch

Post by UnitedAnarchy »

I followed this guide http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/sho ... d42c968ebb mostly without issue. The one issue I did have is with dotnet20, It crashed after it started installing. I don't know what is wrong with it, But I do have the output of the crash of Hearts of Iron three, Which crashed at launch. http://pastebin.com/5hFHyazA
dimesio

Re: Hearts of Iron 3 failing to launch

Post by dimesio »

Outside howtos are not supported here, and the one you followed is over three years old. Unfortunately, the AppDB instructions are also very old (and even marked outdated).

What I would suggest is reinstalling to a clean wineprefix (no winetricks or other tweaks) using the current development release of Wine, and if it doesn't work, post the complete terminal output.
UnitedAnarchy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by UnitedAnarchy »

I have used the newest version of wine with this, But you mean, To make a new wineprefix and just install the game with nothing else?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Yes.

The demo, at least, installs fine here without any winetricks. I did run it in a virtual desktop (may not be necessary; I do that for all games, in case they misbehave), and I did have to create and set the VideoMemorySize registry key (without it, the game shut down at the loading screen because it thought it was out of video memory). Contrary to the instructions you followed, I did let the game installer install directx and vcrun, because I knew Wine would use its own versions anyway--overrides have to be set explicitly. So they are probably not needed, but letting them install seems to do no harm.

The demo loads and seems to work fine. Since I'm not familiar with this game there may be problems I didn't notice, but there is no crash on start.