Problem with on-screen mousable "buttons" not working

Questions about Wine on Linux
Reorx

Problem with on-screen mousable "buttons" not working

Post by Reorx »

I am running Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64 bit on a laptop at my office. I have purchased and installed a copy of CrossOver (V 11.2.0) (designed for my environment) which has Wine 1.4.1 at its core... I am trying to run a custom relational database piece of software that does record keeping. This software does not need to be "installed" on Windows machines - i.e. it does not change the registry on any windows machine it runs on. The software (the executable file and all of its supporiting files, data files, DLL files, etc.) resides in a single folder on a HD that the windows computer has access to (software may reside locally or on a network HD). The software is started by simply clicking the executable file where it resides. The software runs perfectly from a windows machine.

I have been able to create a (WinXP) bottle for the application and the program starts and seems to run just fine with ONE BIG EXCEPTION - There are some on-screen "mousable" buttons which work perfectly and others that are completely non-functional. If I point to and click a non-functioning on-screen mouse button - nothing happens. In some cases, I can use the TAB key to advance the on-screen cursor to some of these non-functioning mouse regions and press ENTER to "click" the button but there are still some buttons that I can not use at all (tab key and mouse both fail).

I contacted CodeWeavers support and they felt this issue was "beyond regular tech support" and suggested that perhaps you fine ladies and gentlemen might be able to help me with this problem... I hope they were correct! :D

Does anyone have any ideas regarding what causes this problem and how it can be fixed?

I thank you in advance for your assistance...

- Reorx -
dimesio

Re: Problem with on-screen mousable "buttons" not working

Post by dimesio »

Crossover is not supported here, and the Wine version it is based on is old. If you want help here, try the latest development version of plain Wine. If it still doesn't work, post terminal output.
Reorx

Post by Reorx »

Wow! Certainly not the response that I expected...
Crossover is not supported here...
I'll be sure to tell the Crossover folks who referred me here.
... and the Wine version it is based on is old.
Old??? By what standard? It is only 3.5 months old and is the most recent stable release! I know everything is relative but...

I tried to install the latest development version and got the following msg.>>>

Not knowing how to interpret that, I installed the most current version of Wine in the Mint repository. It's only version 1.4 but the output from the terminal is as follows:
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_ActivateKeyboardLayout 0x4090409, 0000: semi-stub!
err:ole:CoUninitialize Mismatched CoUninitialize
err:ole:CoUninitialize Mismatched CoUninitialize
The first 4 or 5 lines happened as the program opened.

Subsequent "fixme"s happened each time I clicked a mousable region and a new sub-menu opened.

The "err:ole:" lines occurred as I exited the program.

I hope this information is adequate enough for someone to give me some suggestions as to a solution... Once again, I thank you all...

- R -
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Reorx wrote:I'll be sure to tell the Crossover folks who referred me here.
Are you sure they meant here and not their own forum?
Old??? By what standard? It is only 3.5 months old and is the most recent stable release! I know everything is relative but...
It is old by the standards of a project that has development releases every two weeks. Hundreds of patches have been added since the stable release, and the first thing we need to do is find out if your problem is something that has already been fixed. You need to do that before you can file a bug.

FYI, another Mint user also reported getting the "Wine is virtual" message. I have no idea what is going on with the Ubuntu packages on Mint, but you should report the problem to your distro.

Is there a downloadable demo for your app?
Reorx

Post by Reorx »

dimesio wrote:Are you sure they meant here and not their own forum?
Yes, I am sure >>
One place where you might get some feedback is posting the issue to the forums on winehq.org and see if any of the Wine programmers would have a clue what is going on.
dimesio wrote:Is there a downloadable demo for your app?
I'm not sure but I can talk to the developer on Monday to see if there is a demo available.

Anyone have any ideas on the basis of the terminal output???
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

One place where you might get some feedback is posting the issue to the forums on winehq.org and see if any of the Wine programmers would have a clue what is going on.
This is the user's forum. The place to get developer attention is bugzilla, but you can only file bugs for plain Wine, not Crossover. Filing a bug would be my next suggestion if the problem can be reproduced in the current development release of plain Wine.
Anyone have any ideas on the basis of the terminal output???
What's there looks pretty ordinary.

Since Mint seems to be having some strange problems with the Ubuntu packages, you might want to try a different distro.