Wine and pulse audio

Questions about Wine on Linux
RuleMaker

Wine and pulse audio

Post by RuleMaker »

I know that wine currently doesn't support the pulse audio, but can we expect this feature in upcomming versions?
While I used other audio drivers I had a lot of sound problems with other applications, pulse audio works perfectly so it would be nice to add a support for it.

Cheers!
vitamin

Re: Wine and pulse audio

Post by vitamin »

RuleMaker wrote:I know that wine currently doesn't support the pulse audio, but can we expect this feature in upcomming versions?
While I used other audio drivers I had a lot of sound problems with other applications, pulse audio works perfectly so it would be nice to add a support for it.

Cheers!
No pulse audio is just another sound server - Wine already has lots of sound drivers. And there is no reason to have yet another broken driver. Use ALSA or OSS. Disable pulseaudio.
Aleks

Re: Wine and pulse audio

Post by Aleks »

RuleMaker wrote:I know that wine currently doesn't support the pulse audio, but can we expect this feature in upcomming versions?

Cheers!
If you're looking for a way around PulseAudio, check out this thread:

http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=1457

The method in it works for me.
ole
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ole »

Using ALSA or OSS instead of PulseAudio is not actual at all. Its si much problems using ALSA and OSS with duplex sound thru wine and native linux-apllications.

And problems comes when trying to use things like mumble and playing a game with wine.

The pulseaudio-patch which was added for Wine versions up to 1.3.28 (not official i think), has been working just perfect.

I tried 1.3.34 which should be patched, but it can't find the pulsedrivers, so I need to downgrade back to 1.3.28 with patch.

Even if this is considered "buggy", I would rather have them included as "experimental" or whatever. I think it's better to include choices rather than just removing them..

PulseAudio is the only sound server which is working properly in linux, and which is easy to configure.
Mateusz Stachowski
Level 3
Level 3

Open Sound System works great!

Post by Mateusz Stachowski »

I'm using Open Sound System (OSS-v4.2-build2005) on Ubuntu 11.10 without that PulseAudio thing and it works great. I haven't any problems in Wine or other applications. I don't know how it would work with Mumble, but it's capable of handling multiple sound streams.

Vitamin is a Wine developer and as he pointed out there are already lots of sound drivers. Maintaining another one when there are still unsolved problems with ALSA and OSS backends is a waste of time and resources.