text anti-aliasing in Wine 1.5.13

Questions about Wine on Linux
Fred2
Level 2
Level 2

text anti-aliasing in Wine 1.5.13

Post by Fred2 »

In recent (dev) versions of Wine, text anti-aliasing didn't appear anymore consistently (blinking, or not refreshing after scrolling in Internet Explorer). In the current 1.5.13 I don't see anti-aliasing at all.
no_antialias.jpg
no_antialias.jpg (14.16 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
This does also happen when I create a new Wine prefix (= default settings, no theme, default font) and when I try different Windows programs including winecfg.
I followed again the steps in the wiki to enable anti-aliasing (for the case it was somehow disabled, although it was on by default) using winetricks, but it didn't change.

The Wine Configuration dialog has an example text (10pt Tahoma), and only when I increase the dpi slider to 119 dpi, anti-aliasing appears.

Is that something in-progress (current work going on), is it a regression, or is it "Windows default" ?
Does that happen for anyone else?
Fred2
Level 2
Level 2

Re: text anti-aliasing in Wine 1.5.13

Post by Fred2 »

Another (different) observation is that tooltips catch window focus, that means once a tooltip is displayed, the application window turns inactive and doesn't receive keyboard input until you click it or the tooltip disappears.
dedoz

Post by dedoz »

dedoz

Post by dedoz »

This bug is now fixed (Wine 1.5.17):
• Sub-pixel font anti-aliasing in the DIB engine.
However, I had to manually replace wine's out of the box tahoma.ttf with the complete one for anti-aliasing to work with this font.