Wine, Virtual Memory, Crash at 100% Usage

Questions about Wine on Linux
Chris-WF
Level 2
Level 2

Wine, Virtual Memory, Crash at 100% Usage

Post by Chris-WF »

Hi,

i just want to Point your attention on an issue that frustrating me.

Its about the virtual Memory usage and the Limit of... yes that is the Question. This could be a Memory leak in the Application itself or in wine.. or both. But i thought if i switch to wine64 i could enlarge the memory window and dilute the crashing of some applications.

There is an UNCONFIRMED -please confirm it if you can- Bug with Guild Wars 2:
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=34342

The Guild Wars 2 developers say something like:
"Yes its a known issue with 32 Bit operating Systems and GTX Nvidia Cards".

Others confirmed that Radeon Chips based Cards have the Problem too. Some googling later i found some old threads that seem not related to this, cause its got fixed in nvidia drivers 180.44.

Since i read that Wine reserve 2 GB for mimic Windows behaviour and 2 GB for the Application itself... i ask me if this could not be patched or enlarged for wine64!? Oh and the Nvidia drivers have to got there share to map there GPU Memory successful.

Regards

Chris
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Wine, Virtual Memory, Crash at 100% Usage

Post by oiaohm »

Kaede Fox 2014-07-01 16:22:18 CDT on that bug read.

Wine on a 64 bit linux system for a long time replicates /3GB switch under XP in fact past this. OS X its a OS thing 2G/2G comes from OS X itself.

The bug is kind of a memory leak/over caching in textures because they are not being freed fast enough.
https://oss.oracle.com/projects/tmem/
http://www.slideshare.net/Djelibeybi/tr ... ts-friends

The solution could be use "Transcendent Memory" setting on currently expired textures being cached. The issue here is a cache explosion. Fun part about pushing items into "Transcendent Memory" is you can pull it back but the kernel can also instantly decide to delete it if it short. Next is pushed into Transcendent Memory also will free up address space. If the texture is require back it can be pulled out of Transcendent Memory if it has not been deleted.

Using Transcendent Memory would allow exceeding the 3G+ limit. Even the 4G limit due to the fact that everything in Transcendent is no longer consuming memory space other than a reference. Yes deleting without deleting.

Not used memory is a waste and running out of memory is bad. The problem is how to achieve both.

Problem here using Transcendent Memory effectively is rewrite the video card drivers and other parts of kernel.

The UNCONFIRMED is part is the fault a Wine bug. Or is this a case we need like video card drivers and kernel parts to alter.

It could turn out that Windows is not deleting but using a Transcendent Memory method as well. At this stage what Windows is up to is not answered either.
Chris-WF
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Wine, Virtual Memory, Crash at 100% Usage

Post by Chris-WF »

Thank you for the reply oiaohm,

and seems that this takes more Time. Since Linux as gaming operating System just had a start with the funding of Nvidia, Google and Valve. I hope this will achieved in the far, near future.

So there is no easy hack for us to got that fixed. The concept of Transcendent Memory is interesting, thanks for sharing!

Just thought we could use the techniques of addressing Terabyte of Disk spaces and caching methods to handle that issue.

greetings,

Chris