$50 Bounty to get Wine to work better with memory intense ap

Questions about Wine on Linux
TheSailor

$50 Bounty to get Wine to work better with memory intense ap

Post by TheSailor »

Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x28f5e010 in 64-bit code (0x000000014004a0ad)

I have tried several versions of WINE and different distros - most of office is switching to ubuntu but I still need to run a program called Adaptrade which is native 32 or 64 bit windows app.. this app basically is for stock traders to help generate specific code based on various algorithmic formulas and metrics after analyzing raw csv data files which the user loads that has all the chart data etc...

It runs, OK, for small source files and limited analysis - few metrics used - but when I load up a couple weeks of data (about 100 MB source file ) - the software takes a long time to read the source file, during which time the builder.exe program gets shaded out and is unresponsive. It eventually loads - sometimes up to 20 minutes later - I manipulate what I need to then I save and wait another 5 to 20 minutes... when I hit "build" to launch the build process that reads the source file, then the metrics and options used for data analysis - it grays out again or sits there for quite a long time... it will generally start producing the genetic test results and build results - but if the settings for number of population members (results to analyze it generates) is too high or the settings for analysis of each data set is too deep - the application crashes with memory errors...

It does the same thing under windows on my i7 laptop with windows 7 64bit and desktop i5 but with my Asus k50ij which has a P T42000 processor I believe and much less ram than my other two primary - it seems to run fine - and a lot faster than even on the i7 or faster desktop with many more cores for data processing... it only locks up occasionally.

I am posting the wine error report for review. The application can be downloaded and installed for a free 14 day trial at no cost.

I had hoped that running under light weight linux distro or better yet a familiar ubuntu or mint linux would allow me to change the way it addresses memory and even if its slow - be able to make better use of swap space and all the available ram...

BTW I watched resource monitor and swap is not used as there is plenty of ram most of the time only using half or less for all PC ... laptop 1 is Toshiba i7 with 6GB ram, PC is Gateway i5 with upgraded 8GB, other one working is Asus with only 3GB ram... the one with the least ram and slowest processor seems to run the application the fastest (smaller data files used to test across all platforms) - and it works well with WINE as-is until loading larger data source files...

Surely there is a virtual heap or memory addressing issue I am not seeing or understand yet... would be very appreciative if someone could help me out here... and before some passive aggressive person asks why I dont just use Windows for this - its because I dont like windows... thats why... I also have my trading platforms that perform all my automated day trading based on my strategies I write working 10 times better under WINE and ubuntu than under Windows directly... Because we have very memory intense and processing intense custom code to calculate entry and exit points for each symbol we trade - the platform we use occasionally locks up under windows - then its a race to drop to a command prompt from windows, run a batch file as admin to kill all the processes associated with the trading platform so we can then reload the platform, log back in and exit our positions as needed... under WINE with ubuntu we can have it restarted in seconds compared to about a minute with windows.... so its important to use to continue using a linux platform...

If $50 is not enough to entice someone to look into this for me - let me know what you think is fair for your time... I dont mind supporting the developers in this community.

-TheSailor
dimesio

Re: $50 Bounty to get Wine to work better with memory intens

Post by dimesio »

TheSailor wrote: I am posting the wine error report for review.
Where?
The application can be downloaded and installed for a free 14 day trial at no cost.
Download link?

You didn't mention what Wine version you used. If it's not the latest development release, upgrade; if it still doesn't work, post terminal output.
If $50 is not enough to entice someone to look into this for me - let me know what you think is fair for your time... I dont mind supporting the developers in this community.
It doesn't cost anything to file a bug.
TheSailor

Post by TheSailor »

Direct link to download trial version (full version)
http://www.adaptrade.com/Builder/Builde ... -64bit.exe

I have used several versions of Wine.

I have been able to get good results with the following setup - but I still get "insufficient memory" errors and crashes when there is plenty of swap space available still - but only for larger data sets and larger populations which means more things to sort - it seems to crash and go out of memory at the point where it sorts the results of its calculations and algos it produces... not sure why... but it also sometimes crashes while still building that data set (before getting to the full population set defined by the user... for instance I tell it to generate 2000 members of a population - it gets to 2000 and then sorts the set by the relevance of the metrics selected - sometimes it works sometimes it locks up... sometimes it does not get to the 2000th member and freezes... however if I say only use 200 members - it seems to have no problem and works as expected - but with limited quality of results due to the very small initial population data set to then use generational adaptations to...)

Ideally I would like to use 20-30 Gig of swap space for the larger runs.. using system monitor I watch and see that 97% of RAM is generally used up during the build process and it then begins to use up some of the swap - but bever more than a couple percent... I have installed dynamic swap to ensure swap size adjusts large enough and when initally run was showing swap of 3 gig but was increased to over 10 gig during last build process...

Gateway DX4831-01e
Intel i3
6GB DDR3
1TB HDD

Ubuntu 12.04.01 LTS 64bit
PlayOnLinux 4.1.8
Wine 1.4.1

Wine defualt to XP, tried also Win200 and Win 7 - all end with similar results.

Any ideas?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

PlayOnLinux is not supported here, and 1.4.1 is old. If the problem exists in the current development release of plain Wine, file a bug. (The Ubuntu 1.5.20 package is broken; don't use it.)
TheSailor

Post by TheSailor »

I tried with 1.4.1 without PlayOnLinux as well. Same issues. I tried with setting config to win 7, XP and vista... all have memory crash when there is plenty of swap available.

I did try 1.5.20 ubuntu package - and it caused a lot of display glitches and errors - so I took it down one and it had similar issues - so I assumed all 1.5x versions would have the problem then stuck with 1.4x as it actually works - but only for limited data set sizes due to memory stack issues.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

TheSailor wrote: I did try 1.5.20 ubuntu package - and it caused a lot of display glitches and errors - so I took it down one and it had similar issues - so I assumed all 1.5x versions would have the problem then stuck with 1.4x as it actually works - but only for limited data set sizes due to memory stack issues.
You should file a bug for the display errors. Run a regression test if you can. http://wiki.winehq.org/RegressionTesting

Don't assume that the graphical problem affects all 1.5.x versions--it could be a fairly recent regression.

You should also file a separate bug for the memory crash. If you are unable to test for the issue in current Wine due to the other bug, mention that in the bug report. (If you can reproduce it despite the graphical problems, that would be helpful.)
TheSailor

Post by TheSailor »

update: I tried 1.5.20 and 1.5.19 and 1.5.1 - all had same video display glitch... native without POL...

At this point - I am willing to pay someone to try to get it to work on their setup as I have done and see about getting the application in question to address larger memory request efficiently over to swap space - of better - over a smb request on a cluster... I have been reading a lot about this and it seems like there is a big disconnect between what people want to do with cluster computing and what software can actually do - middleware included...

Right now - I want to just see WINE run this win64 native application and make use of all available swap space and find out why it crashes on certain memory addressing issues - it may be as simple as a config error on my end... I will say - same macing running windows 7 also crashes at similar points for this particular software when system runs out of RAM. There is 8GB installed. Swap is 10GB. Processes started by this application spawn across all cores of multicore processor just fine and are relatively balanced. Memory use hits RAM hard and grows slowly through the build process as expected (as generated algos are created and stored for final build set tournament testing and sorting and metrics testing). Things get really slow when memory use reaches above 94%... Swap goes up and down - but I notice its mostly other background calls from native linux processes... I do not know how to verify if the software is using any swap at all as it fills up RAM with stored results - and eventually runs out and crashes.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

the "wine way' is to file bugs for your issues and hope to gain the attention of one of the devs. There are (way too) many bug reports, so that can be frustrating, it's a matter of luck. Simply discussing it here in this forum will lead to nothing, it's not our task to file bugs for you.

I'm not a dev, but I think, wine isn't really prepared to use more than 4GB memory at the moment. Wine is 64bit capable, but there are still some issues to be expected with 64bit linux and/or 64bit windows/wine apps.

Most of the professional wine devs are working for a company called Codeweavers. If you are ready to pay for getting your issues fixed, contact them. They will test your application and make you an offer based on the difficulty and time needed to fix things. The downside is that they will charge you 'professional' hourly wages.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Lahmbi5678 is correct about the way to get developer attention; that's why I have told you more than once to file a bug. I know you're focused on the memory issue, but you really need to file a bug for that regression. Bugfixes and improvements happen in the development branch; no one cares about 1.4.x.