Guild Wars Sound Issue

Questions about Wine on Linux
Simon of Aragon
Level 3
Level 3

Guild Wars Sound Issue

Post by Simon of Aragon »

I am still having minor sound issues with Guild Wars, and yes I still blame GW over wine. I read and followed instructions at: http://wiki.winehq.org/Sound .... But just in case I haven't got the thing set up correctly here is all the info;

Desktop Link Info

Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/simon/.wine" WINEDEBUG=-all pasuspender -- wine '/media/drive_c/Guild Wars/Gw.exe'
Path=/media/drive_c/Guild Wars

I get a stutter in the music and sound fx from the set up but the audio is present. When I run this link;

Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/simon/.wine" wine '/media/drive_c/Guild Wars/Gw.exe'
Path=/media/drive_c/Guild Wars

The audio is crystal clear for less than 5 seconds and remains mute for the rest of the game. My libasound2 plugin is 1.0.23 but the sound fix for less than 1.0 seems to maintain the audio. Now it is a case of poor audio, and unless someone knows what I am doing wrong I still don't think this is a wine bug since this is my only game with sound issues.
Simon of Aragon
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Guild Wars Sound Issue

Post by Simon of Aragon »

A rather odd event since posting the above, I was playing GTA SA in it's native 1024x768 state although my monitor can go 1360x768. Without thinking, when I dropped out of GTA I loaded Guild Wars and it popped in at the 1360x768 default and the sound was there and crystal clear. So I played running some benchmarks even the FPS was up to 50 or 60 (normally running 20 to 30). I could not figure out what was "different" because I was still using the default shortcut and same wine settings. When I minimized GW I saw that my desktop was still running in 1024x768 because I forgot to switch it up. I normally use my KRandRTray do this.

I pulled GW back up to full screen and continued to enjoy the game for another hour. When I hit the restore window button the sound sputtered and the display shrank to 1024x768 as expected. I now conclude this has nothing to do with Wine and more to do with my KDE desktop. I hope others who read this will be sure to inspect all aspects of their system before jumping to the conclusion that Wine is to blame.