Touring Car Championship installer fails when copying files

Questions about Wine on Linux
olivierfrdierick
Level 5
Level 5

Touring Car Championship installer fails when copying files

Post by olivierfrdierick »

Hi,

I have TOCA Touring Car Championship CD-ROM retail version 1.0 and I'm trying to install that game under Wine 1.4.1 in Ubuntu 10.04.
When the installer starts copying files it immediately shows an error message stating: "An error occurred while installing files".

Here are the steps to reproduce the issue:

From a clean prefix, the CD is in the drive.

The installer won't run under Win32s or NT so I launch winecfg from the menu of Ubuntu and set the Windows version to 95.
Every other option is left as is.
I close winecfg.

I run these commands from a terminal:

Code: Select all

olivier@piezo1:~$ cd /media/TOURING_CAR
olivier@piezo1:/media/TOURING_CAR$ wine setup.exe
wine: cannot find L"unix\\media\\TOURING_CAR\\setup.exe"
olivier@piezo1:/media/TOURING_CAR$ wine setup.exe
I launch setup.exe twice so that Wine can find the CD-ROM.
I could add the drive from winecfg but I'm so lazy. 8)

The installer appears.
I click "Install" to begin the installation process.
The installer asks where to install, I click "Continue" to install to the default installation path ("c:\Codemast\TourCar").
The installer asks if I want to create the directory, I click "Yes".
The installer asks if I want to skip installation of DirectX 5.0, I click "Yes".
The installer shows a message box over the main window stating : "An error occurred while installing files. Click on OK to quit" (In French : "Une erreur s'est produite lors de l'installation des fichiers. Cliquez sur OK pour quitter").
The main window states: "Copying files... 0% complete", "Copying tourcars.exe".
Clicking on "OK" closes the installer.

There are no errors in the terminal.
I can find tourcars.exe in ~/.wine/drive_c/Codemast/TourCar, sitting there alone.

Same result with Wine set to Windows 98.

There is a demo available from http://www.jeuxvideo.com/telecharger/je ... hip-pc.htm
The installation steps of the demo are slightly different but the error is the same in the end.

I extract tocademo.exe from the .zip file and copy it to ~/.wine/drive_c.
I run the commands in a terminal :

Code: Select all

olivier@piezo1:~$ cd .wine/drive_c
olivier@piezo1:~/.wine$ wine tocademo.exe
The installer of the demo starts by telling me that it must extract files to a temporary folder, I click "Finish".
Then it's the same installer than the retail version. Well nearly the same: it doesn't ask about DirectX 5.0.

I've used WINEDEBUG=+relay but I couldn't find anything looking like a wrong return value.
I don't know what the return values from most of the function calls should be anyway. :?

Before submitting a bug to Bugzilla, I would like someone to try and install the demo under the latest Wine (1.5.12) and report if the installer fails too.

Wine 1.5+ is not available in Lucid Lynx repositories.
I would have to compile it from source, but I fear to break something in my current config.

It would be nice if someone that uses Wine 1.5.12 tried the demo for me. :)
olivierfrdierick
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Touring Car Championship installer fails when copying fi

Post by olivierfrdierick »

A quick reply to say that I've managed to install Wine 1.5.13 in Ubuntu 12.04 Live CD.
The installer fails there too with the exact same behaviour.
I'll send a bug report to bugzilla.