MS Office 4x ???

Questions about Wine on Linux
oberladtstrasse
Level 1
Level 1

MS Office 4x ???

Post by oberladtstrasse »

Hi,

Nowadays I have installed PlayOnLinux on my Kubuntu 12.04. In addition to that Wine 1.4.
I want to install my old MS Office 4.2, but during the Setup, a little window pops up which says that it can't install Word, PowerPoint etc.

I think this software is 16bit, maybe this is the problem??? But on wikipedia I've read that WINE generally supports 16bit software.
Maybe I've to use another WINE Version???

Can somebody help me???

Best regards!
dimesio

Re: MS Office 4x ???

Post by dimesio »

Support for apps that old is poor.

You can try setting the Windows version to NT or older, and if your OS is 64 bit, you will need to install DOSBox. It still may not work.

But I have to ask, why are you trying to install such an ancient version of MS Office? LibreOffice can certainly do everything that old version can, and more: it can read Office 2007/2010 documents, which that old version of Office will never be able to do (the compatibility pack only works for Office 2000 and newer).
oberladtstrasse
Level 1
Level 1

I want to install it because I like to work with such old software - they are very simple and lightweight.

My OS is 64bit. Does that mean that it's impossible to make a 16bit software executable in WINE???

Best regards,
oberladtstrasse
Level 1
Level 1

dimesio wrote:Support for apps that old is poor.

You can try setting the Windows version to NT or older, and if your OS is 64 bit, you will need to install DOSBox. It still may not work.
I managed to install StarWriter 2.0 in WINE 1.4 which is 16bit software. And I don't have installed DOSbox.
So, I think the problem isn't due to dosbox etc., rather a wrong WINE Version???

Best regards!
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

So try the latest development release and find out. If it doesn't work in plain 1.5.12 (no PlayOnLinux), post terminal output.
oberladtstrasse
Level 1
Level 1

dimesio wrote:So try the latest development release and find out. If it doesn't work in plain 1.5.12 (no PlayOnLinux), post terminal output.
OK, thanks. :)
I tried to install another textprocessor for Windows 3x - Wordstar for Windows 2. It runs without problems!!!
So, there must be a solution to make Word 6 executable!!!