New Guy Intro/Questions about Wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
Locked
Simon of Aragon
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:56 pm
Location: The Magical Land of Canada
Contact:

New Guy Intro/Questions about Wine

Post by Simon of Aragon » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:35 pm

Hello,

Last week my mobo took a hit and I was getting the non responsive BSOD from Windows XP which I stuck by faithfully since its birth. I ran Kubuntu 10.10 as a dual boot (back up) since 2010. But now I tossed my XP aside and run 100% Kubuntu 10.10 now. I am really done with windows since about 80% of my time on a computer is internet and other productivity software. I spend the remaining 20% playing games, most are windows based. Don't try to sell me on an upgrade to 12.x because at this point "it won't happen". I have my system tweaked and even told the reminder to go get stuffed. I am a Maverick Meerkat.

So I have Wine 1.4 and until yesterday I was running 1.2 something. I have a sound issue with Guild Wars, GTA San Andreas won't run at all, but on the bright side Portal 2 and others work like a charm. All the issues seem pretty minor but I thought I could only run up to 1.3 on this system version? I went to prompt and typed wine --version and it responds 1.4 should I downgrade wine to 1.3 or keep 1.4? These issues only cropped up when I upgraded that is why I asked.

I am a firm believer in karma, so I am not here just to be a leech. I will be sure to help out when and where I can.

User avatar
dimesio
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 12852
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:30 pm

Re: New Guy Intro/Questions about Wine

Post by dimesio » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:53 pm

The Wine 1.4 packages for older versions of Ubuntu are named wine1.3. I don't have a clue why.

No one here is going to try to talk you into upgrading to 12.04; see the sticky at the top of the forum for why.

As for your sound issues, Ubuntu's Wine packages now include the unofficial winepulse driver as well as unsupported changes to dsound, so you need to ask for help on the Ubuntu forum for any sound problems.

If 1.2 was working for you, going back to it might be the easiest option. The alternative is to build Wine yourself, but since 10.10 uses versions of PulseAudio and alsa-plugin that had bugs that affected Wine, that may not solve your sound problems.

Simon of Aragon
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:56 pm
Location: The Magical Land of Canada
Contact:

Re: New Guy Intro/Questions about Wine

Post by Simon of Aragon » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:45 am

Thank you. I found out why GTA San Andreas was not working. I needed to add a path to the launcher.

[Desktop Entry]
Exec=WINEPREFIX="/home/xxxxx/.wine" wine '/media/C Drive/Rockstar Games/GTA San Andreas/gta_sa.exe'
Icon=/home/xxxxx/.local/share/icons/GTA_San_Andreas_Icon.png
Name[en_US]=GTA San Andreas
Name=GTA San Andreas
Path=/media/C Drive/Rockstar Games/GTA San Andreas
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=desktop_kdebase

I have been messing with the audio config in Wine and tried setting them to my audio card but no luck. It has to be the way Guild Wars handles the sound drivers. Portal 2, GTA SA, etc. all have perfect sound so I am going to blame the GW devs on this one. :D

Simon of Aragon
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:56 pm
Location: The Magical Land of Canada
Contact:

Re: New Guy Intro/Questions about Wine

Post by Simon of Aragon » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Well I finally got my Guild Wars audio to run using this line;

WINEPREFIX="/home/xxxxx/.wine" WINEDEBUG=-all pasuspender -- wine '/media/C Drive/Guild Wars/Gw.exe'

This has the audio running but still sounds bad. Still the only program having audio issues for now so I have no complaints.

Locked