Why no WineHQ packages for Ubuntu 11.10 since 1.5.5?

Questions about Wine on Linux
Doofus
Level 1
Level 1

Why no WineHQ packages for Ubuntu 11.10 since 1.5.5?

Post by Doofus »

Hi,

I'm using Lubuntu 11.10. For testing various Windows software in Wine, I prefer to use the winehq-packaged versions rather than compiling from source (compiling from source is very slow on my system).

I noticed that Ubuntu 11.10 packages for Wine later than 1.5.5 are no longer being built. Is there anywhere I can add my vote that current Wine packages for 11.10 be made again?

I can understand discontinuing building packages once an Ubuntu release goes out of support (after 18 months), but discontinuing support after seven months or so does seem far too soon (time between initial Ubuntu 11.10 release and the final winehq 1.5.5 packages). Particularly considering all the Ubuntu 12.04-related issues listed in this thread...
dimesio

Re: Why no WineHQ packages for Ubuntu 11.10 since 1.5.5?

Post by dimesio »

WineHQ does not provide binary packages for anyone; they are built by the distros, and what packages to build is entirely up to the volunteers who build them. Contact your distro package maintainer.
Doofus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Doofus »

Okay. It's not entirely clear from the Wine downloads page that that's the case.

WineHQ does appear to maintain a PPA for Ubuntu Wine packages; the page at http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu says "Ubuntu's default repository includes Wine, however if you want to stay up to date with the latest Wine package you can use WineHQ's by following these instructions."

[I'm not referring to the Wine package which is available by default in Ubuntu 11.10, but the 1.5.x development packages which used to be released about every two weeks.]
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

If you follow the direct link to the Wine PPA at the bottom of the Ubuntu page, you will see that it leads to Ubuntu's Launchpad. I agree the wording on that page is misleading; the person to contact about that is the Ubuntu Wine package maintainer, as he is the one who wrote it.