recent files usability

Questions about Wine on Linux
Fred2
Level 2
Level 2

recent files usability

Post by Fred2 »

Hello,
navigating folders is cumbersome, especially since we have both the Windows file structure + the Linux file structure. I'm very dependent on the recent files list in the GTK file selection dialog (Ubuntu 12.04, recent files come from Zeitgeist). Since the lack of the recent files is an issue that mostly occurs to Wine users (or other non-native environments) I thought it is the right place to post here.

This is not a question about whose job it is.

Does someone have ideas how we can easierly access recent files in Wine applications?
I tried already setting up a Gnome virtual folder or a Nautilus savedSearch (but that is not file-system transparent, Nautilus also has never been able to hold a candle with Explorer's search criteria).

Any other ideas?

Does the Windows file selection dialog (I think Vista is currently replicated in Wine??) have a recent list?
dimesio

Re: recent files usability

Post by dimesio »

Windows apps usually maintain their own lists of the last few files they've accessed. It works perfectly fine on Office 2003/2007/2010. Is there a specific app where this is not working for you?
Fred2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fred2 »

It works for most apps, but only for files that have been opened with that program at least once.
t1nk3r3r
Level 2
Level 2

Post by t1nk3r3r »

So what I'm hearing is that you want: the native desktop to maintain a list of recent files accessed by Wine applications?
Or : Do you want Wine to utilize a file indexing service outside of each individual application?
Fred2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fred2 »

Do you want Wine to utilize a file indexing service outside of each individual application?
I want a list/folder inside file selector dialogs in wine applications to access any recently used files (from the native system).

The "native" system uses different technologies depending on desktop environment (zeitgeist, tracker/nepomuk, or none). So it's maybe something won't be integrated with Wine soon, but it would be cool if we could find a workaround.

I just saw that some native Windows file selector dialogs have a recent list, but not in Wine, does this depend on the application?
Attachments
left: GTK, right: Windows (here in Virtualbox)
left: GTK, right: Windows (here in Virtualbox)
recent documents.png (27.85 KiB) Viewed 2448 times