Forums and Wiki need to be updated...

Questions about Wine on Linux
marianojoey
Level 1
Level 1

Forums and Wiki need to be updated...

Post by marianojoey »

Many posts in this forum and many of the entries in the wiki are already outdated. The info there mentions wine 1.3.x when it's been almost 6 months since 1.4 was released. Posts about Pulse Audio are specially outdated, since from Ubuntu 9.1 onward Pulse was the default audio controller. Heck, since 10.04 you CAN'T kill Pulse, since it auto-starts again immediatly (also, killing it makes everything else stop working correctly). Now, in 1.5 Pulse is also supported. The problem is that users that don't have too much knowledge either about Linux or Wine might get the wrong information as right, and end up having other (bigger) problems, frustration, and finally quitting back to "the one that shalt be forgotten". Posts with more than 1 year should be "unsticked", so new post can be found with newer and more accurate information.

In the Wiki still shows how to download winetricks, when it autoinstalls since 1.2. :O Many entries mention versions of Wine so outdated they should be removed (sorry, if any person still uses wine 0.9.x or even 1.1.x it's time to move on...).

Now, that's probably a lot of work, so it's going to take some time, but it should get started, the sooner, the better. I'm not an expert on Linux, not even in Wine, but I'll gladly help anyway I can.
vitamin

Re: Forums and Wiki need to be updated...

Post by vitamin »

Obviously you can't "update" posts on forum. But Wiki - have at it. Anyone can create an account and contribute.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

As vitamin says, anyone can update the wiki. However, keep in mind when doing so that not everyone uses Ubuntu, and what is true for Ubuntu is not necessarily true for other distros. I'm referring specifically to your comment that winetricks "autoinstalls" since 1.2. That is only true for Ubuntu, which started packaging it with 1.2; not all distros do that, and their users still have to download it themselves (and openSUSE packaged it long before 1.2). Please make sure any changes you make to the wiki are applicable to all distros or clearly identified as distro-specific.
marianojoey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marianojoey »

Winetricks on other distros wise, dully noted. The part about the forums, not so much. Just entering this forum you see 4 sticked post, 2 of them not only closed about 4 years ago, but that mention things that can't be that accurate anymore, and the other one, even if it has a last post this year, by Dimesio himself, it's related to a version of Wine that was old a year ago. Heck, anyone using a version pre 1.4 should be prompted to update at once.

And about wiki, I know how it works and I could start writing, but I'm not an expert in wine or programing. Most of the time, I spend hours with google trying to solve the problems I have with either Ubuntu or Wine. I'm not knowledgeable enough to give directions to other people (I don't even know how Wine works on other distros, as you can certainly infere from my previous post), but I'd gladly help by translating it (I'm argentinian, so spanish is my birth language).

Anyway, it's just an idea, trying to help the only way I find myself useful atm (constructive criticism). :)
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You're right about the three old stickies. I've unstickied them and posted an updated sticky for PulseAudio users.