WINE +Guild Wars 2 Optimal Results

Questions about Wine on Linux
WineLearner7

WINE +Guild Wars 2 Optimal Results

Post by WineLearner7 »

I tried looking on the forums, but I couldn't understand or they were not recent threads.

I recently bought a desktop computer (I put it together on Monday). However, I didn't feel like paying $100.00+ on Windows 7 (nor can I really afford to). I'm always told that Linux is a stronger operating system than DOS (which windows 7 is based off of). Therefore, I would like to try something different.
I will start off by giving you my CPU and GPU to see if my system is capable:
CPU: AMD Phenom II 4 965 Black
GPU: Radeon HD 7770

I don't think I will have a problem running Ubuntu. The issue is running the latest games like Guild Wars 2. I've tried researching Ubuntu + WINE and GW2 and I've found some success cases. The problem is, these were Youtube videos posted in April and not recent. I'm not really good with code, so the installation instructions I've found for GW2 are kind of confusing. Nonetheless, I have a few questions:

1. Is it better for your system if you manually install Wine, versus this "PlayonLinux" I keep hearing about?
2. How was the gameplay compared to Windows 7? What do you modify in Wine for optimal results?
3. Do you recommend 32-bit or 64-bit? I assume 64-bit would provide optimal results with Wine.
Thank you for your time.
mikkelkromann
Level 2
Level 2

Re: WINE +Guild Wars 2 Optimal Results

Post by mikkelkromann »

I have had success with Ubuntu 12.04, although it was a big hazzle to get there (recompiling wine to make mouse work properly and much worse). Can't recommend Ubuntu 12.04 because its problematic WIne package regarding 32/64 bit Wine.

I've heard favorable reports about PlayOnLinux, havnt tried it myself.
My framerates are 30-40ish with my midrange GTX560 and an i5 processor, dunno how it compares to your card.

I'd call that decently playable, but not stellar performance.
There are some minor issues with graphics too, but not that bothersome.

Regarding 32 vs 64 bit: Try what your installation offers as standard.
WineLearner7

Re: WINE +Guild Wars 2 Optimal Results

Post by WineLearner7 »

Thanks for the reply.
I don't understand what you mean by that last sentence. When I build it, it will have no OS on it.