Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition not launching

Questions about Wine on Linux
PyGuy

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition not launching

Post by PyGuy »

Hey everyone. I am trying to run Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition on Steam with Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit, and the game tries to launch (and I see a green border around my Steam avatar at the corner of my eye as if I'm playing a game), but then it just kills itself without opening any windows or displaying any error messages, acting like nothing happened.

Here are my specs:
Processor: Intel Core i5-2400 @ 3.10Ghz (4 CPUs) ~3.1Ghz
Hard Drive: 1TB
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 (4GB VRAM)
Memory: 8GB

Can someone assist me?
Thanks in advance.
PyGuy

Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition not launching

Post by PyGuy »

No help here?
PyGuy

Post by PyGuy »

Bump ._.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

the usual advice would be to upgrade to latest wine and latest graphics drivers, run from command line and post terminal output. But it seems the game won't run at the moment, see http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=26553 . You may add your experience to the bug, sometimes it helps, if bugs get more attention.
core
Level 3
Level 3

Post by core »

And what doing if terminal has no anything in output log? I'm using Wine 1.5.15, clean wineprefix, on Ubuntu 12.04.1.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

It's quite improbable, that there's absolutely no output in the terminal. How exactly are you running the game and how do you get the log? Please open a terminal, 'cd' to the game's directory and run wine (and the game) from there.

The mentioned appdb page contains a recent test report (wine 1.5.13), including a howto with some workarounds to make the game run, you could try that. It requires a crack, which isn't really supported by the wine community.
core
Level 3
Level 3

Post by core »

lahmbi5678 wrote:It's quite improbable, that there's absolutely no output in the terminal. How exactly are you running the game and how do you get the log? Please open a terminal, 'cd' to the game's directory and run wine (and the game) from there.

The mentioned appdb page contains a recent test report (wine 1.5.13), including a howto with some workarounds to make the game run, you could try that. It requires a crack, which isn't really supported by the wine community.
Yes, i'm running from game folder with optirun wine DATA.exe and no log. Also set through winecfg a windowed mode 800x600. When launch the game, see opening and closing of window. That's all.
When used 1.5.13, i had in terminal error string CreateProcess failed: (-2147024894)
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Sorry, I don't have any experience with Bumblebbe/optirun. Would the game start without optirun (using integrated graphics) ? You probably couldn't play due to inadequate graphics performance.
core
Level 3
Level 3

Post by core »

With integrated card similar result.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hm, if you just run "wine DATA.exe" from command line, you should at least see some fixmes.
core
Level 3
Level 3

Post by core »

Nope, nothing at all..
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Can you run any other Windows application under wine? Or maybe an older game like Starcraft?

Just a guess, but if you are on 64bit linux and the game is 32bit, you may need to install 32bit graphics drivers, too, for wine to work. I'm not sure, if and how that will work with optirun, you may have to ask in an Ubuntu forum. For 32bit games you may need to change your wineprefix (basically your .wine folder) to 32bit, see http://askubuntu.com/questions/177192/h ... ine-prefix , just move/rename your .wine folder before, follow the advice in the link and reinstall your game in the new wineprefix, you can afterwards restore the original state by moving the renamed/moved folder back.
core
Level 3
Level 3

Post by core »

Other games lauches good. I'm using 32-bit OS, last drivers and clean wineprefix.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Is there a free demo? You probably should file a bug.