Wine and Kindle

Questions about Wine on Linux
GwenM

Wine and Kindle

Post by GwenM »

I'm sort of driving a Linux without a license. It was a hand-me-down computer, I'm not much of a computer person. So this is probably a Stupid Question. Please be gentle.

I am trying to download a Kindle reader for homeschool purposes. I figured out that I could download the PC version and then open it with Wine to install. I think I am all set with the versions I'm trying to use (but from another forum post, maybe I ought to try an older version of Kindle? Where would I find THAT?). When I try to run the Kindle app by clicking on the icon on my desktop, it starts to initialize and then encounters a 'serious problem' and closes down.

Can anyone help point me in the direction I need to try next? I have two little boys starting school in two weeks, eeek.
garpu
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Wine and Kindle

Post by garpu »

Hi! I have a kindle (regular one, just purchased, so recent generation), and I use Calibre for it. There are packages for just about every distro, and it's easy to use. I do have the Kindle app, as well, but I installed it to a clean wineprefix using the latest version. With Calibre, though, I almost never need the Kindle application.