Question about hard drive layout and programs in wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
moduspwnens

Question about hard drive layout and programs in wine

Post by moduspwnens »

Ok so I have a question about how my hard drives are set up and running Wine. Basically I have 2 drives, an SSD and an HDD, I installed Windows 7 on the SSD but then I started installing all of my programs in Windows on a partition on the HDD. Then I freed up some space on the HDD and installed Ubuntu 12.04 onto it as well.

So here's how it's set-up:

SSD - C:/ drive - NTFS
Windows 7 filesystem partition
HDD - D:/ drive
(NTFS)Windows Programs partition and (ext4)Ubuntu partition

So what I would like to know is if it is ok for me to run Wine on the Ubuntu partition and run my Windows programs from the HDD drive? The Offical guide says not to point your Wine to your Window's C:/ drive but I'm technically not pointing directly to the C:/ drive. I have actually already ran quite a few programs like this and had no issues.

My guess is that I probably shouldn't be doing this but I would really like someone who knows more to tell me if it is okay or not.
vitamin

Re: Question about hard drive layout and programs in wine

Post by vitamin »

moduspwnens wrote:So what I would like to know is if it is ok for me to run Wine on the Ubuntu partition and run my Windows programs from the HDD drive?
In general this is not recommended. Most programs that add some entries into registry and/or install additional DLLs will not work. Also consider possibility of Wine corrupting your program making it impossible to run even on Windows.
And to top it off - Wine has more issues with not native file systems and network fss (vfat, ntfs, nfs, cifs).