VisualBasic .NET program on BackTrack (a Linux distro)

Questions about Wine on Linux
swsooue

VisualBasic .NET program on BackTrack (a Linux distro)

Post by swsooue »

Hello,

I am a newbie, so, please, patience, because I don't understand very well about Linux, Wine and also english, I am italian :lol:

I am using BackTrack 5, a Linux distro with GNOME interface, (I think based on Ubuntu),
and on this distro thare are many software pre-installed, and I have found Wine and also Microsoft Framework .NET 2.0

So I want to develop a very little program with my Visual Basic .NET and run it on BackTrack.

I have created a little program in Visual Basic .NET, an "Hello world" program, with only a form and a button, not more, I have compiled it and then I have copied this .EXE file into C: virtual device (with copy-paste) and then I have tried to double-click on it for to run.
But don't appeare anything !!! No message error, no form on screen.

Pease, can you help me and tell me where I need to copy the EXE file, if I need other files (for example manifest, xml or other) for to run my application ???

Only double-click on it or I need other command for to run it ??

Many many thanks for your help

Gigi (Italy)
DanKegel

Re: VisualBasic .NET program on BackTrack (a Linux distro)

Post by DanKegel »

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ/#run_program lists the other ways to run programs.

You should try running it from the commandline to see if wine is
printing out some important error message. (Many messages can
be ignored. Attach the commandline output here and we'll tell you what it means.)

But in general, if you want to write .net programs on Linux, use Mono, you'll be happier.
See http://www.mono-project.com/Monkeyguide
swsooue

Post by swsooue »

Many many thanks for your reply.

Yes, I know that exist mono-project, but my program is very very simple, and in BackTrack distro there is already Wine and framework installed, so I need only to deliver my program.
If I choose to use Mono, I need to install it, but the problem is that all my friends that use BackTrack needs to install Mono, and ussually all people use BackTrack-Live on a USB pendrive, so may be a problem to install other programs as Mono.

Well, I start my program in terminal mode, and this is the error that appeare:

fixme:actctx:parse_manifest_buffer root element is L"asmv1:assembly", not <assembly>

Many thanks for your help

Gigi
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

is .NET 2.0 really preinstalled in backtrack linux? Did you make sure, that your application can run with .NET 2.0 only, that means, that it doesn't require .NET 3.0 or 4.0 runtime?