witcher Enhanced edition GOG getting black screen

Questions about Wine on Linux
Chris T.

witcher Enhanced edition GOG getting black screen

Post by Chris T. »

Installed the witcher Enhanced edition GOG getting a black screen with the music in the background. I am new to both Linux and Wine. I have tried to make it work before posting here I D/l the d3dx9_36.dll and put it in the witcher directory it helped abit but the Problem still exists. I cannot seem to understand what they are saying under the appDB. It is very confusing. I need help to get this to run I am using Zorin Ultimate version 6 32bit.

Wine it self is confusing the Heck outa me pls help

thank you
Chris

here are the specs for computer

Dell Inspiron 1720 | 4GB ddr2 ram
Intelchip set GM965/gl960 | FSB 199mhz
Intel core duo cpu T8300 @ 2.4GHZx2 | 320 GB HD
Zorin Ultimate version 6 32bit
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Re: witcher Enhanced edition GOG getting black screen

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

you shouldn't manually copy dlls, please remove them again. There's a script called winetricks, which usually comes with your linux distribution, you can download the latest version at https://code.google.com/p/winetricks/ .

Please run something like

winetricks d3dx9_36

or (if you downloaded and saved it locally as text file e.g. "winetricks.txt")

sh winetricks.txt d3dx9_36

from command line. Maybe "winetricks d3dx9" instead of "winetricks d3dx9_36" might even be better, this will install a few more d3dx9 dlls.
Chris T.

Post by Chris T. »

Hi I did what u said and removed the d3dx9_36 from the witcher directory and now when I go into the first castle Karr Morin I get a black screen and the text words, sound ok BUT no picture. I also ran the Winetricks command sh winetricks.txt d3dx9 still no luck.

What do I do now??

I am using Zorin 6 Ultimate O/S
lahmbi5678 wrote: Hi, you shouldn't manually copy dlls, please remove them again. There's a script called winetricks, which usually comes with your linux distribution, you can download the latest version at https://code.google.com/p/winetricks/ .

Please run something like

winetricks d3dx9_36 or (if you downloaded and saved it locally as text file e.g. "winetricks.txt")

sh winetricks.txt d3dx9_36

from command line. Maybe "winetricks d3dx9" instead of "winetricks d3dx9_36" might even be better, this will install a few more d3dx9 dlls.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

did "winetricks d3dx9" work?

The command with "sh winetricks.txt d3dx9" will only work, if you actually downloaded the winetricks script from said site and saved as "winetricks.txt" (you'd need to run the command from the directory, where winetricks.txt lies).

Please try "winetricks d3dx9" from command line, if it doesn't work, post terminal output here. If it works, run the game from command line and post terminal output.