Does wine install and run the program or just run it

Questions about Wine on Linux
concerro
Level 2
Level 2

Does wine install and run the program or just run it

Post by concerro »

I am about to try to be the maintainer of a program, but I have yet to try to use wine successfully. If I download a program should I only be given the option of using the Ubuntu Archive Manager or should Wine be an option in the dropdown menu.
vitamin

Re: Does wine install and run the program or just run it

Post by vitamin »

That's a question to your distro forum. To run wine you do:

Code: Select all

wine ~/Documents/setup.exe
concerro
Level 2
Level 2

Post by concerro »

I was not asking how to run it. I was asking if Wine acts as the installer of the program of if it is just used to run the program.
Goddilly

Post by Goddilly »

It can do both. use Winetricks to install programs.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

concerro wrote:I was not asking how to run it. I was asking if Wine acts as the installer of the program of if it is just used to run the program.
Wine runs Windows software... if the software your running is a setup.exe or install.exe (or .msi) that installs software, then Wine runs it just as it would anything else. After you run the installer in Wine, you then run the program it installed. Wine doesn't tell the difference in running software and installing software, an installer is still just running software.
concerro
Level 2
Level 2

Post by concerro »

doh123 wrote:
concerro wrote:I was not asking how to run it. I was asking if Wine acts as the installer of the program of if it is just used to run the program.
Wine runs Windows software... if the software your running is a setup.exe or install.exe (or .msi) that installs software, then Wine runs it just as it would anything else. After you run the installer in Wine, you then run the program it installed. Wine doesn't tell the difference in running software and installing software, an installer is still just running software.
Thanks. :)