No steam games working under Wine

Post by Girffe »

There are a number of weird things going on here, I'll list some facts:

- I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity
- My CPU is the i5 2500k
- My GPU is the GTX 680
- My driver version is 295.49
- I'm using 3 monitors, all 1920x1080 @60Hz

When I initially tried to use wine, I didn't have it make a virtual desktop for applications. When I ran steam, I was able to run oblivion as well. The default settings for oblivion had the desired resolution of 5760x1080, and no other resolution options. However, when the game ran, it fullscreened over only one of my monitors, still rendering at 5760x1080, but squishing it into a 1920x1080 space. I then enabled the virtual desktop option, and set the resolution to 5760x1080. Now, when I try to run oblivion, it seems to be working fine, and I can see the main menu stretching out properly over the single screen, and blackness on the other two screen (the way it's supposed to work), but when I try to actually get into the game, it crashes. When I start a new game, the opening pre-rendered cutscene works fine, but once you actually get into the (rendered portion of the) game, it crashes. Far cry has similar issues, and all of the following games simply crash when I try to start them:

- Alice: Madness Returns
- Morrowind
- Skyrim
- Crysis
- Just Cause 2
- Darksiders
- Grand Theft Auto IV

Does anyone know what the issue might be? I don't know if it's relevant, but I made a symlink for the steamapps folder within linux to my steamapps folder in windows.
dimesio

Re: No steam games working under Wine

Post by dimesio »

Does anyone know what the issue might be? I don't know if it's relevant, but I made a symlink for the steamapps folder within linux to my steamapps folder in windows.
Install the games properly in Wine. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-878d4f6 ... a4a4cafa13
Girffe

Re: No steam games working under Wine

Post by Girffe »

I did install steam via wine. It has its own installation in wine, I just made a symlink for the game file so I wouldn't have to redownload them again. I searched on google, this seems to be something others have done as well.

Also, I found that if I change oblivion's resolution to 800x600, it runs properly. Some issue with stretching across monitors, perhaps?

I also tested with Left 4 Dead now. It doesn't have the 5760x1080 option, so it just ran fullscreen over one monitor. I used the -w 5760 -h 1080 options to force the resolution, and it seemed to work (the opening cutscene loaded and played), but it wouldn't accept any keyboard input.