power point keeps crashing on wine1.4

Questions about Wine on Linux
iamus

power point keeps crashing on wine1.4

Post by iamus »

hi,

I have gotten wine 1.4 installed on an ubuntu 10.04. I'm trying to evaluate Office 2010 so I got a 60 trial version of Office Home.

So far, word works great. But I encounter a problem every time I try to copy slides on power point. After I copy the slides from one document to another and then try to save I get an error "Powerpoint encountered an error it can't fix"

I know looking for a fix to this might be asking too much, I was just wondering if someone could give me pointers on how to troubleshoot this error.

NOTE: I had a problem running powerpoint at the start so one of the site suggested that I add the "riched20" under the libraries existing override as well as "usp10"

not sure if that has to do with anything or not

Thanks,
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Re: power point keeps crashing on wine1.4

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

please run from command line and post terminal output. In general it is recommended to use latest wine, which would be 1.5.9 (soon 1.5.10). Afaict the Ubuntu wine repository won't provide recent binary packages for 10.04 any more, so you'd have to compile wine yourself.

Another alternative might be Codeweavers CXOffice, there is a free trial version available. If copying slides fails with CXOffice, too, you should report it to Codeweavers, too.
iamus

Post by iamus »

thanks for the reply, but isn't 1.4 the latest stable release? is it safe to use 1.5 ?
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

You misinterpreting what "stable" means: "does not change much" or "does not change at all". It does not mean that the program itself is ideal. If you are using stable release, you do not get fixes and improvements available in the latest unstable release. Stable release is useful if it works for you "as is" and you do not want to upgrade often for whatever reason. So latest Wine version is "safer" to use than stable one because latest version contains more bug fixes and improvements than regressions.

To get help here, you have to use plain Wine of latest version - in this case 1.5.10 (1.5.9 is good enough too). CXOffice and other wrappers are not supported here.