winecfg-only part of window shown-no access to bottom half

Questions about Wine on Linux
Halen

winecfg-only part of window shown-no access to bottom half

Post by Halen »

Tried to install Wine(1.3.2?) on HP-desktop, AMD64 with 512 RAM running only Edubuntu 11.10.(1024X768 display) on an 80 Gig drive. I fiddled with dpi on winecfg window...now characters are large,only 1/4 of config window shown in a workspace which is NOT filled and I can't get to the bottom part in order to adjust resolution. Remove/reinstalling wine did not fix it, using mouse with alt key didn't fix either. Tried to find and remove wine manually. It's in /usr/share/wine and this folder and all files inside have ROOT permissions so I can't erase files. I am a newbie but have old DOS commandline experience. Suspect I may have to re-partition and remove Edubuntu but have many great Linux apps so would rather fix winecfg setting if possible. :roll:
Any help appreciated. I can use Apt-manager from terminal if needed....thx/
dimesio

Re: winecfg-only part of window shown-no access to bottom ha

Post by dimesio »

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-571dc6e ... d0422fdf04

Reinstalling Wine does not remove the wineprefix, which is where the configuration settings are stored.
Halen

Post by Halen »

Ok.... heading over to the Wiki to see what to do. Am also learning about 25 pages of BASH shell commands to get familiar with terminal. Will let you know how it goes. thx.....
Halen

Post by Halen »

Ok. Cannot reach the resolution slider.The registry thing didn't work from terminal. Am now trying to erase the entire Usr/share/wine but have to change the ownership from "root" to accomplish this. Am reading up on permission commands then will try and let you know..Lucky this disaster happened BEFORE installing the Windoze apps, right? Thx again........
Halen

Post by Halen »

Ok, thanks for help. After changing permission with chmod was able to erase all traces of wine and reinstall. This time the Winecfg could be seen and I left it that way. I still can't run or install any .exe files from the CDrom so that will be the next thing to solve. Thanks again....
André H.

Post by André H. »

what tried to tell you: just rm ~/.wine (that's the default wineprefix, you can have more to seperate apps from each other)