e-tax

Questions about Wine on Linux
Manfred

e-tax

Post by Manfred »

Hi everyone, I'm new with Linux, and now is tax time.

I have installed Wine and now also PlayonLinux and then etax in it. E-tax is running, I can enter my data but etax is not getting access to the Internet which is important to have access to all the help menu and most importantly, to lodge the tax-return and the end! Looks like Windows programs can run in something like a capsule, separated from the rest of the linux computer, is that right?
Any help there would be most appreciated.

Manfred
dimesio

Re: e-tax

Post by dimesio »

Post the POL install log for the app. Note that if it shows you are using a patched version of Wine or any unnecessary overrides, you will be told to reinstall in plain Wine before you can get help here.

Windows programs running in Wine are definitely not separated from the rest of the system.
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Hello Admin, you are right, it's not seperated. I have just installed MS Internet explorer 8 in Wine and it is connecting to the internet. But still e-tax is not.

Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean with: "Post the POL install log for the app" and "reinstall in plain Wine"?

I'm really only a computer user.

Manfred
etwineb
Level 4
Level 4

Post by etwineb »

I am not sure about the meaning of POL, but I think he means that you should install your software starting plain wine (not playonlinux) using a terminal and post here your console output.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

POL=PlayOnLinux

Current versions of POL save a log that shows what version of Wine was used and what tweaks, if any, were applied by their install script. You need to post that. The reason is that some POL scripts use a patched version of Wine that is not supported here.

Alternatively, do as etinweb says, and reinstall your app using plain Wine and post the terminal output from that. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Ok, I have uninstalled PlayOnLinux, running Wine 1.4 installed from the Software Manager.
Because E-tax is a .msi file, I have found and used the instructions below to re-install etax.

5.5. How do I install/run a MSI file?

MSI files cannot be run directly, you need to use the msiexec program. MSI files can be installed in Wine from the terminal like this:
wine msiexec /i whatever.msi
Alternatively:
wine start whatever.msi
That will then run the MSI program the same as if you had double-clicked it in Windows.

Nothing has changed, etax works but has no access to the update, help and lodgement function online.

As for me, I better wait until E-tax is available through the Software Manager. Maybe some computer guru might want to write a package for that?? That's all too high for me.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

Manfred
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Is this the app? http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... ngId=72750

The most recent test report says it needs msxml4 and ie7.