Cannot install WINE 1.5

Questions about Wine on Linux
MaTi
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot install WINE 1.5

Post by MaTi »

I'm trying to install newest development release of WINE on Ubuntu 11 Server, but even after adding ppa repository it still cannot find the package:

Code: Select all

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package wine1.5 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'wine1.5' has no installation candidate
I've executed "apt-get update" after adding repository, here is the output: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1108460/
Also, here is the output from "add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa": http://paste.ubuntu.com/1108495/

In directory /etc/apt/sources.list.d I can see two files:
ubuntu-wine-ppa-natty.list
ubuntu-wine-ppa-natty.list.save

I've tried adding the repositories manually to sources.list file, following the instructions posted on launchpad site, but that didn't help either.
I'm all out of ideas, numerous Google searches didn't return any helpful results. Could someone please help me? Thank You in advance.
dimesio

Re: Cannot install WINE 1.5

Post by dimesio »

I believe Ubuntu is only building 1.5.x packages for 12.04, so if you are using an older version of Ubuntu you will have to build Wine yourself.
MaTi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MaTi »

I see, thanks for the response. Ubuntu 12 is a LTS release anyway, so I guess now is a good time to upgrade.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Read the sticky at the top of the forum about Ubuntu 12.04 before going that route. Building Wine yourself in the older version may be easier.