Change drive_c location

Questions about Wine on Linux
pawell

Change drive_c location

Post by pawell »

Hello, I am using latest stable Wine 1.4.1 and I have very cool problem:

I have dualboot Ubuntu and Windows. So I have 3 partitions: Windows, Linux and DATA.

Each Windows and Linux partiton is only 20GB large and are used for containing OS itself and nothing more.

So everything else is stored on DATA (which is NTFS - the only filesystem safely writable from both OS). Everything is working well, only Wine not.

How to "force" wineprefix / drive_c / wine itself to read anything from DATA and not from my home folder?

I tried:
* symlink to program's folder : Wine did not found program.exe
* symlink to drive_c : Wine has crashed.
* symlink to whole wineprefix folder : it looked promising, but again Wine
crashed.

When debugged it said that read files while FUSE mounted (NTFS) may be unstable...

Also in Wine FAQ is:
Do not try to configure Wine to point to your actual Windows C:\ drive. This will break Windows and require a Windows reinstall. We have tried to make this hard to do, so you probably cannot do it by accident.
I can say myself, yes, you really made it hard. But I want NOT to kill my Windows. Just to "change installation folder" to other place than home.

Please anyone?[/quote]
dimesio

Re: Change drive_c location

Post by dimesio »

pawell wrote: So everything else is stored on DATA (which is NTFS - the only filesystem safely writable from both OS). Everything is working well, only Wine not.

How to "force" wineprefix / drive_c / wine itself to read anything from DATA and not from my home folder?
Wineprefixes do not have to be in your home directory, but the partition they are on must be a native filesystem; NTFS will not work.

For info on how to use a wineprefix other than ~/.wine: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-faf9617 ... 522d490faf
pawell

Post by pawell »

Thanks man.

Sorry that I wasn't able to read the FAQ to the end.

Still shame it has to be stored in some native file system.
hasan2023

Post by hasan2023 »

I read the FAQ and don't do like this. I am not shame.