Irfanview install in wineticks fails on checksum

Questions about Wine on Linux
nadrach
Level 3
Level 3

Irfanview install in wineticks fails on checksum

Post by nadrach »

Running Kubuntu 10.04 netbook; Wine version 1.4; winetricks 20120308.
Trying to install Irfanview with winetricks.
Install of version 4.28 fails because of checksum error with Sha1sum. This is the same as with version 4.27, a while back, have only just returned to retry (been busy).
Downloaded version 4.33 and plugins, tried to install manually in the Irfanview prefix, but this failed because the install could not find MFC42.dll. This DLL is installed in the prefix using winetricks.
I suspect that my manual install was trying to put Irfanview into the default prefix, not the Irfanview one.
So ...
either:
(A) How do I fix the Sha1sum error and get winetricks to install 4.28
or:
(B) How do I manually install 4.33 into the Irfanview prefix ... because I'd like the plugins ... I have uses for them.

Help?
dimesio

Re: Irfanview install in wineticks fails on checksum

Post by dimesio »

nadrach wrote: either:
(A) How do I fix the Sha1sum error and get winetricks to install 4.28
Report the problem to http://winetricks.org.
(B) How do I manually install 4.33 into the Irfanview prefix ...
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-faf9617 ... 522d490faf

You could also just install the version of Irfanview you downloaded and use winetricks to install mfc42 to that wineprefix.
nadrach
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nadrach »

dimesio wrote: Report the problem to http://winetricks.org.
Unable to do so ... do not have a login.
Thank you, that did the trick

However, one quirk from earlier installs still remains. On the Kubuntu KDE plasma netbook window manager, all the icons from Irfanview except one install. Icons for Thumbnails (Panda); plus Help, What's New, Languages, Available Plugins, About, Command Line Options and Uninstall; all appear ... there are also start entries in the Desktop directory for IrfanView and Thumbnails ... but no roadcat icon for Irfanview itself anywhere in the window manager. I have never found a reason for this oddment ... I just use the entry in the Desktop directory or go through the Thumbnails icon ... but the situation does puzzle me. On a standard Kubuntu KDE desktop manager I used to get a blank icon which I would have to edit to pick up the roadcat icon image, whilst on the netbook version ... no icon at all. A glitch to try and fix when I have a moment.

Thank you for the quick response to my query, everything seems to be working well.
DanKegel

Post by DanKegel »

nadrach wrote:
dimesio wrote: Report the problem to http://winetricks.org.
Unable to do so ... do not have a login.
Unable or unwilling? Why not get an account?
nadrach
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nadrach »

DanKegel wrote: Unable or unwilling? Why not get an account?
Two reasons:
(A) It would be the first and probably only time that I would have something to report on winetricks ... and I have become increasingly cognizant of the support logins I have created over the years that have been used once only and I can never remember the passwords, and with the occasional change of email address to dump the flow of spam, I lose the ability to find out old/lost passwords. I am also increasingly cognizant of a comment some time back (from Richard Stallman, I think) of the Internet eventually creaking under the weight of dead data, which requires equipment and power to retain for no valid use. Millions of one-time support logins are no small part of this dead data (and no, I don't think that's an overestimate). A recent serious prediction promulgated that the power required to run the Internet could exceed the world's generating capacity within my lifetime (and I am approaching my sixth decade). As has been pointedly reported a lot, lately, there is no delete on the cloud. My motto is now "Don't add it if you don't need it." Wine support, at least, I have needed and used on multiple occasions. In past times, I would have simply asked someone who has and uses a support account on something rare for me, to throw in one for me. I don't know anyone with a winetricks account.
I am surprised, however, that no one else has experienced the failure to install Irfanview 4.2? on winetricks on Kubuntu Netbook, or the quirks that go with an Irfanview install, per se. I doubt that I am the only one with this combination, but possibly just the guy who flagged up the glitch. I am aware that the obvious answer is a support access that merely requires an email reply address, but in these times of spambots, such an access is no longer a valid option. The boon of technology is that everyone gets to use it ...

(B) Because it is hosted on google, and every time I have used such a support login in the past, my spam count went up, noticeably.

Sic biscuit disintegrat.
DanKegel

Post by DanKegel »

Oh, I get it, fear/loathing of big company. Fair enough; I fear/loathe lots of big companies. (Just not that one.)

BTW I updated the winetricks irfanview verb, since the old download url was busted.