Magix music maker on Ubuntu 12.04

Questions about Wine on Linux
Eplanet

Magix music maker on Ubuntu 12.04

Post by Eplanet »

i read the thread for Ubuntu 12.04 but couldnt make heads or tails, i only have basic OOP experience.

i also posted the question on the Ubuntu forums site under Studio

Magix music maker basic edition (from 2007 or 08) stalls around 89% install, when it launces 3rd party intaller for firebird sql server

a relaunch of install takes it to 90% before it quits.

studio doesnt come with wine, and i only installed the main/first package from the browse software program. i do have an xp sp1 cd/key, but would need to install sp2

thanks
dimesio

Re: Magix music maker on Ubuntu 12.04

Post by dimesio »

Eplanet wrote:i read the thread for Ubuntu 12.04 but couldnt make heads or tails, i only have basic OOP experience.
Did you read the bug reports linked to in that post? Particularly https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/978678; if you haven't tried the workaround mentioned in it, you need to.
studio doesnt come with wine, and i only installed the main/first package from the browse software program.
Open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

wine --version
Report back here what it says.
i do have an xp sp1 cd/key, but would need to install sp2
What does this have to do with Wine?
Eplanet

argh argh argh argh argh argh argh argh argh argh

Post by Eplanet »

wow, the patch creator has it in for ubuntu, eh? ha. well i guess i am suppose to compile this? its been years....

so its version 1.4 atm.....i browsed the ppa somethin or other and found 1.5.7 done 3.5 hours ago, but since it didnt show up in my "software center" i have to figure out how to do it manually. *sigh*.....that workaround page u linked to mentioned it might be included in 1.5.4

well, i thought wine could use windows files vs. wine files, or something. so there isnt something that will install/extract from my xp installation cd? so how would that work atm....i could install windows xp on the swap, install sp2, run a live linux & copy/paste the fresh install in wine's windows folder?
Eplanet

Post by Eplanet »

well this is interesting.....

i got it to show in the software center & update program. it said it was installing 1.5, which i assumed was 1.5.7...either way, it still only shows 1.4 at wine --version

now it wont launch the magix installer though.

i guess i can use native dlls by copy/paste into system32 then "configure wine". if that doesnt work, even after uninstalling then reinstalling stable wine, and there is no doable answer here, ill just install xp over linus......*sigh* linux still seems the same after 10 years
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Eplanet wrote: i got it to show in the software center & update program. it said it was installing 1.5, which i assumed was 1.5.7...either way, it still only shows 1.4 at wine --version
Something is messed up. Try uninstalling Wine completely, then reinstalling it.
now it wont launch the magix installer though.
Did you do

Code: Select all

echo 0|sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope
before trying to run it?

If it still doesn't work after you've straightened out your Wine version and run the above command, post terminal output from trying to start the app. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log