Newbie trying to install but getting errors

Questions about Wine on Linux
ancient11

Newbie trying to install but getting errors

Post by ancient11 »

I first tried to install a game called " Gothic 2 " and it gives the error message " Invalid directory name specified or the removable media specified is not properly inserted". I have spent two weeks trying to get this game to run on windows 7 and no go. It will install but will not run. I then found a friend that has Windows 2000 and installed the game and it ran just fine.
Just to check things out I tried installing "The Dragon" and boy did I get error messages and I aborted install.
I am using Linux Mint 13 with cinnamon desktop. I have a 1100t x6 amd processor with an Asus 990 fx sabertooth board with 8gb of ram.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
ancient
dimesio

Re: Newbie trying to install but getting errors

Post by dimesio »

ancient11 wrote:I have spent two weeks trying to get this game to run on windows 7 and no go. It will install but will not run. I then found a friend that has Windows 2000 and installed the game and it ran just fine.
What does this have to do with Wine?
Just to check things out I tried installing "The Dragon" and boy did I get error messages and I aborted install.
I am using Linux Mint 13 with cinnamon desktop. I have a 1100t x6 amd processor with an Asus 990 fx sabertooth board with 8gb of ram.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Wine version? If it's not the latest development release, upgrade. If it doesn't work in current Wine, post terminal output. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log
rekuli
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rekuli »

ancient11: if you're actually using wine, either install via „winetricks” or run „winecfg”, set the default entry to „Windows 2000”, quit winecfg, run „wine explorer” and install the game. Ought to be installable, and playable, then, with any wine release from 1.3.x upwards. Once you installed it, reset the default entry to XP or 7 and add an entry for gothic2.exe with the setting „Windows 2000”.