Windows 2000 Photodraw

Questions about Wine on Linux
dede468
Level 2
Level 2

Windows 2000 Photodraw

Post by dede468 »

A while ago I posted a message regarding incorrect operation of Photodraw 2000 but didn't appear to get an answer that helped although I made all the checks suggested at the time.

I wonder if anyone has had the same problem since as it still haunts me. At the time I was running Ubuntu Karmic and have since had various other Ubuntu installations on two different computers but every time with the same problem, so am still having to use Photodraw on Windows.

Here's the score to date.

Photodraw is running perfectly in Win XP and 7

I have tried Ubuntu 10.10, 11.04, 11.10

Photodraw installs with wine [now using wine 1.2.2]

Everything appears fine until I select a new page OR select an existing photo to work with. The pane remains blank - no photo appears nor does a new page to work on. The ONLY things I can bring to the screen are "templates"

I'd be very interested to hear if someone has Photodraw working with Wine and if they had any problems? :(
dimesio

Re: Windows 2000 Photodraw

Post by dimesio »

dede468 wrote: Photodraw installs with wine [now using wine 1.2.2]
That version is old and no longer supported. Upgrade to the latest development release, 1.5.7. If it still doesn't work in current Wine, post terminal output. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log
dede468
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dede468 »

Hi,

Version 1.2.2 was the version which automatically installed from apt. I'll see if I can get the latest one but don't understand "post the terminal output". I've never used the terminal so have no idea how to get an output from it....
Posting it once I have it is simple enough but how to get it, I have no idea.
dede468
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dede468 »

Just realised that the link you gave me tells me how to do it - sorry.
dede468
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dede468 »

Before I start posting rubbish from terminal, I need to ask a question. I am currently using Ubuntu 11.04 and having tried 11.10 I am in the same position as a lot of other users, ie, I HATE the unity system so have no intention of going there. If Ubuntu don't come up with a "classic" version in future, I will desert the Ubuntu ranks. What I'm saying is that I can install and have done, 1.3 Wine via 11.04 BUT is there a way to install the latest Wine on 11.04 as results now suggest that 1.5.7 may be the answer I'm looking for? Reading your download page seems to suggest that 1.5 is for 11.10 onward.

Results so far:

Wine opens Photodraw and now Photdraw will load an image to the screen, which it would not with 1.2.2

Within a second or two I get the message that Photodraw has encountered a serious problem and has to close.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

dede468 wrote:BUT is there a way to install the latest Wine on 11.04 as results now suggest that 1.5.7 may be the answer I'm looking for? Reading your download page seems to suggest that 1.5 is for 11.10 onward.
If your distro doesn't provide packages, you would have to build Wine from source.
dede468
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dede468 »

Now running Mint 12 which hasn't got the stupid Ubuntu pop-out menu at the side but this seems to have nothing greater than Wine 1.3.28 in the repo
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

dede468 wrote:Now running Mint 12 which hasn't got the stupid Ubuntu pop-out menu at the side but this seems to have nothing greater than Wine 1.3.28 in the repo
Mint uses the Ubuntu packages.
dede468
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dede468 »

Yes I know Mint uses Ubuntu but it doesn't have this grotesque thing at the side which works when it wants to - sometimes.

I have now managed to install a second system alongside Mint - Ubuntu 12.04 and dumped the Unity for a classic desktop which is back to some sensibility but having now got 1.5.7 installed, Photodraw will bring pictures onto the pane but then crashes and provides a message that parameters are invalid.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

dede468 wrote:Yes I know Mint uses Ubuntu but it doesn't have this grotesque thing at the side which works when it wants to - sometimes.

I have now managed to install a second system alongside Mint - Ubuntu 12.04 and dumped the Unity for a classic desktop which is back to some sensibility but having now got 1.5.7 installed, Photodraw will bring pictures onto the pane but then crashes and provides a message that parameters are invalid.
I meant you should install the Ubuntu wine1.5 packages in Mint.

As for Ubuntu 12.04, read the sticky at the top of the forum.
dede468
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dede468 »

I now have a problem which I don't understand with my Ubuntu 11.04 installation. I'm sure it can be sorted in terminal but how?

I have removed wine from 11.04 and in both synaptic and Software Centre it shows there is no Wine installation, yet Wine is still listed in the Applications menu together with Programs and Photodraw, but doesn't work. How do I remove the Applications entry so that I can re-install? I assume all should be removed before a new installation?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

dede468 wrote: How do I remove the Applications entry so that I can re-install? I assume all should be removed before a new installation?
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-8a17a13 ... aaf043d581