Virtual Memory Exhausted

Questions about Wine on Linux
SketchMan3
Level 1
Level 1

Virtual Memory Exhausted

Post by SketchMan3 »

So, long story short, I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my machine, installed all the restricted packages and the Wine and LMMS and LMMS-VST and everything. Wine version was 1.3

When I click Wine in the applications list, it does nothing. I tried running winetricks before running Wine. I looked at my .wine folder and it contained no files. Only the dosdevices directory and the c drive.

Tried uninstalling and downgrading to 1.2 (which worked on my other computer), but no such luck. When I try running Wine through the terminal, it gives me "virtual memory exhausted". I've tried the fix that was listed in the "I dun goofed" thread, but nothing helped.

I added myself to audio group. I enabled "use audio devices", but when I tried to enable "use virtualization..." that option was not in the list. I'm assuming that may be the problem, but I have no idea how to fix it.

I also am not able to run the KiGB (gameboy emulator) binary. I don't know if the two issues are related or not. Linux Doukutsu (Linux port of the game Cave Story) does work, however. So many other headaches, too, such as Flash not working in Firefox, SuperTuxkart and AssualtCube crashing whenever 3d graphics are shown (I assume that's a video card compatibility issue, and HP doesn't make drivers for Linux so... blegh), but I guess that's all irrelevant.

Anybody have any ideas on how to get Wine working? I had such great tools setup with wine on my Live USB of Ubuntu 10.10 (Maybe I should have installed that instead of 10.04... but it's no longer supported) and I'd hate to lose them just as I'm hitting my stride.
dimesio

Re: Virtual Memory Exhausted

Post by dimesio »

SketchMan3 wrote: Anybody have any ideas on how to get Wine working?
The versions of Wine you have been trying are old and no longer supported. Try the latest development release. If your app still doesn't work, post terminal output. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log
SketchMan3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SketchMan3 »

Does that mean I'll have to complie from source? =\

I tried adding the wine repository, but, for Lucid (10.04), the Wine entry looks like this:

Code: Select all

wine1.3	 1.4-0ubuntu1~ppa1~lucid1
It's titled wine1.3, yet version says 1.4? Odd. No 1.5 or anything for Lucid, but it's available for newer systems.

Is my OS no longer supported? :-(
SketchMan3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SketchMan3 »

Also, I forgot to say, it's not a matter of a specific app working or not. NOTHING Wine related works, including winecfg, winetricks, and uninstall wine applications.
SketchMan3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SketchMan3 »

Sorry for triple posting, but I've got an important update: I did a complete removal of the old Wine, and installed the above mentioned oddly named wine1.3 (which is apparently 1.4) and now winecfg works. Hallelujah!

Good step in the right direction. Now to see if I can run an app...

Okay, an app started (BGB), but it froze. But still. This is much better than not having anything at all.

Thanks for the tip about installing a newer version directly. The one I did have was from a 3rd party repository that I thought had the latest version, but it must have been messed up.