How to revert to wine 1.5.4 on Ubuntu 12.04 using Synaptic?

Questions about Wine on Linux
AiluroDragon

How to revert to wine 1.5.4 on Ubuntu 12.04 using Synaptic?

Post by AiluroDragon »

I am using:
http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-wine/ppa/ubuntu
as an additional repository in Synaptic so I can use the latest (released) version of wine, 1.5.

Today, with the wine 1.5.5 update, I can no longer run World of Warcraft, so I'd like to revert to the 1.5.4 version until the latest released version works. Unfortunately, I can't force Synaptic to use 1.5.4 (perhaps because the repository no longer offers it? I'm really not sure how this works).

Is there a way I can get Synaptic to use 1.5.4?

[I realize that I could in theory download the git and compile it, but I've had no luck following the instructions for downloading, patching, and compiling on a 64-bit system based on the existing instructions in the wiki when I tried that a few weeks ago.]
AiluroDragon

Post by AiluroDragon »

(Couldn't do it using synaptic, but found some help in backing it out on the appdb page for WoW: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=24878)

sudo apt-get remove wine1.5 && sudo dpkg -i `find /var/cache/apt/archives/ | grep "wine" | grep "1.5.4"`

This command worked for me. Would still appreciate an answer to my original question, if there's someone with more knowledge of Synaptic who can help out.
xyz32
Level 2
Level 2

Post by xyz32 »

In RPM based distros there is a downgrade functionality in the package manager:

$> yum downgrade wine

Maybe apt-get has something similar implemented.
sportfreak2020
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sportfreak2020 »

There's no turnkey command, but you can do it manually.

You'll find a log of recent installations in several forms under /var/log:

/var/log/dpkg.log shows package status and version changes;
/var/log/apt/term.log shows a full log of console output during installations;
/var/log/aptitude shows installations (including upgrades)

The old packages might still be in /var/cache/apt/archives. Otherwise, you might be able to find a mirror that still has them..

after you find the version you are looking for, this should work:
dpkg -i /path/to/foo.deb

this is just something on top of my head .. hope it helps someone who is comes in looking for this in the future !! ::creepy:: :idea: