Witcher Enhanced Edition

Questions about Wine on Linux
Ajolie

Witcher Enhanced Edition

Post by Ajolie »

Hi all!

I'm new to using both Ubuntu and Wine so I freely and readily admit that I have only a vague idea of what I'm doing. LOL Right now I am running Ubuntu 12.04 and Wine 1.4 and am trying to get some games to run.

I've just installed the Witcher Enhanced Edition from the disk and once I got it all installed it and went to play it I got two separate error messages.

The first is "Insufficient Privileges: You must be an administrator to run this program." Which is odd because I am an admin.

The second is "internal errors: invalid perimeters received". I haven't the slightest clue what this means.

I would appreciate it if anyone can help walk me through getting these two fixed. I'm so confused and I'm just kind of feeling my way through getting this all to run.

Thanks for everything!
dimesio

Re: Witcher Enhanced Edition

Post by dimesio »

Ajolie wrote: I'm new to using both Ubuntu and Wine so I freely and readily admit that I have only a vague idea of what I'm doing. LOL Right now I am running Ubuntu 12.04 and Wine 1.4 and am trying to get some games to run.
Try upgrading to the latest development release, currently 1.5.5. However, be aware that Ubuntu 12.04 is very broken with regards to Wine and you may not be able to get your games to work until the upstream bugs are fixed.
mogorva
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mogorva »

It well maybe that the disk version of The Witcher:EE is protected with some kind of copy-protection method thus causing the error (Tages comes to my mind).
You can check if that's the case by running a tool named Protection Id against the game executables.
http://pid.gamecopyworld.com/

Code: Select all

The first is "Insufficient Privileges: You must be an administrator to run this program." Which is odd because I am an admin. 
Running Wine as root is highly discouraged.