[ALSA] WINE and microphone -> does not work?!

Questions about Wine on Linux
Detructor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Detructor »

Hi,

so I wanted to make my microphone work in WINE but I can't get it to work as it seems.

For my system, I managed to set the correct card/device for microphone (verification: starting up audacity and without changing anything recording -> it records my voice through the microphone)

Now as soon as I startup WINE (be it by starting Steam or by opening winecfg) and then startup audacity I can't see the device responsible for recording anymore.

But that's not enough: I can't even record my voice in wine (for example use VOIP in CS:S or any other game/program).

A few versions ago (before you guys revamped the perfectly fine audio tab) everything worked.

Also when I start winecfg in console and open the Audio tab it constantly tries (and fails) to open PulseAudio?! That thing isn't even installed on this system.
dimesio

Re: [ALSA] WINE and microphone -> does not work?!

Post by dimesio »

Detructor wrote:A few versions ago (before you guys revamped the perfectly fine audio tab) everything worked.

Also when I start winecfg in console and open the Audio tab it constantly tries (and fails) to open PulseAudio?! That thing isn't even installed on this system.
Plain Wine doesn't have a pulse driver, but some distros package an unofficial and unsupported winepulse driver, and it sounds like yours might be one of them. If that's the case, start by uninstalling it. If it still doesn't work, run a regression test and file a bug.
Detructor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Detructor »

I'm using ubuntu 12.04 and installed wine via the PPA that is linked there -> http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu

from what I found on the web, that PulseAudio crap is compiled with wine?! where could I get a 'good' version aside from self-compiling?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Detructor wrote:I'm using ubuntu 12.04 and installed wine via the PPA that is linked there -> http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu

from what I found on the web, that PulseAudio crap is compiled with wine?! where could I get a 'good' version aside from self-compiling?
Ask your distro.

FYI, Fedora also packages the winepulse driver, but they put it in a separate wine-pulseaudio package rather than forcing it on all Wine users. That seems like a better system to me, but I don't know enough about packaging to say if that's possible in Ubuntu.
Martin Gregorie

Post by Martin Gregorie »

On Mon, 2012-05-28 at 08:09 -0500, Detructor wrote:
For my system, I managed to set the correct card/device for microphone
(verification: starting up audacity and without changing anything
recording -> it records my voice through the microphone)
If its not a rude question, why are you running Audacity under Wine?

IME the native Linux version works very well and is a standard Fedora
package, so presumably its a package for other distros too. I use it
with an external USB sound card and the Fedora standard audio setup for
monitoring.

Martin
Detructor
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [ALSA] WINE and microphone -> does not work?!

Post by Detructor »

Martin Gregorie wrote:On Mon, 2012-05-28 at 08:09 -0500, Detructor wrote:
If its not a rude question, why are you running Audacity under Wine?

IME the native Linux version works very well and is a standard Fedora
package, so presumably its a package for other distros too. I use it
with an external USB sound card and the Fedora standard audio setup for
monitoring.

Martin
uhm...I don't start Audacity over/with WINE. I use the native linux version.

But that gives me an interesting thought...I'll try and run Audacity in WINE, maybe it can pick up the correct input device.
Detructor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Detructor »

interesting, with audacity in wine, I've audio input working aswell. Still, in CS:S there is no microphone input, I guess this thread is now obsolete since it boggled down to being a CS:S problem.