Creating a working desktop shorcut for Rosetta Stone 3.4.5

Questions about Wine on Linux
Guan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Guan »

Has anybody had any luck making a working desktop shortcut for Rosetta Stone 3.4.5? I can get the program to run smoothly, but whenever I try to create a desktop application launcher, no matter how I set it up, it always flat out doesn't work, or it throws some sort of fatal error inside of Rosetta Stone.

I've tried setting it to the wine prefix, then a command path. I've tried crating a link in the .wine folder and then moving that link to the desktop. No matter what I try, I can't seem to get it working. This is not a new problem, but I wonder if anyone has any new solutions to it.
M C

Post by M C »

When you create your link you need to make sure the working directory
of that link is set to where the .exe is. Most windows programs care
about it while linux ones don't (that's why it doesn't get set
usually)

Otherwise you can just write a small shell script setting the correct
working directory (cd ~/.wine/...) and calling wine. Then you can just
make a link to that script to make it all work easily. (this also let
you do more things like redirecting logs to file, ... if the need
arise)

2012/5/28 Guan <[email protected]>:
Has anybody had any luck making a working desktop shortcut for Rosetta Stone 3.4.5?  I can get the program to run smoothly, but whenever I try to create a desktop application launcher, no matter how I set it up, it always flat out doesn't work, or it throws some sort of fatal error inside of Rosetta Stone.

I've tried setting it to the wine prefix, then a command path.  I've tried crating a link in the .wine folder and then moving that link to the desktop.  No matter what I try, I can't seem to get it working.  This is not a new problem, but I wonder if anyone has any new solutions to it.

Usurp
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Creating a working desktop shorcut for Rosetta Stone 3.4

Post by Usurp »

M C wrote:When you create your link you need to make sure the working directory
of that link is set to where the .exe is. Most windows programs care
about it while linux ones don't (that's why it doesn't get set
usually)
To describe the situation more technicaly,
you could say that windows programs are badly designed
and they crash/disfunction because they don't check where the program was launched from.
Guan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Guan »

Shell script... Not sure if my bash-fu is up to that. I'll give it a try though. Where do I need to start looking on how to put it together? The end goal is to have a nice icon for a student aged 3-7 to be able to recognize and click on so they can open the program on their computer station work center. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Tlarhices
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Tlarhices »

I don't have wine or rosetta at hand but it should go like :

1) create file ~/rosetta.sh
2) write as content (update paths, ...)
#!/bin/bash
cd "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Rosetta"
wine rosetta.exe
3) set execution bit on the file (right click on it and select execution option)
4) run the file from a terminal and make sure it works
cd ~
./rosetta.sh
5) make a link to it, set the icon, ...

2012/5/28 Guan <[email protected]>:
Shell script...  Not sure if my bash-fu is up to that.  I'll give it a try though.  Where do I need to start looking on how to put it together?  The end goal is to have a nice icon for a student aged 3-7 to be able to recognize and click on so they can open the program on their computer station work center.  Thanks in advance for any replies.