Wine causes Flash instabilities

Questions about Wine on Linux
MaTi
Level 1
Level 1

Wine causes Flash instabilities

Post by MaTi »

I don't really know whether I should be posting this here, on Firefox forums or on Linux Mint forums...

Whenever I start foobar2000 (a music player) under WINE, and I open a web page in Firefox (native build, not running under WINE) containing anything that requires flash, weird things start to happen.

Flash videos start playing but there is no sound, Firefox crashes whenever I try to exit a website in question, all kinds of graphical artifacts start to appear in my system, fonts in any WINE applications become transparent - instead of font color i see the color of whatever is under the window, and a lot of other things.

When I exit foobar2000 everything goes back to normal. If Firefox was frozen - it unfreezes, graphical glitches disappear (except the ones that affected desktop wallpaper).

I use WINE 1.4, my OS is Linux Mint 13 MATE x64, and I use latest Firefox version.

I really have no idea what causes it... I would be really grateful if someone could help me.

Thank you in advance.
dimesio

Re: Wine causes Flash instabilities

Post by dimesio »

MaTi wrote:I don't really know whether I should be posting this here, on Firefox forums or on Linux Mint forums...

Whenever I start foobar2000 (a music player) under WINE, and I open a web page in Firefox (native build, not running under WINE) containing anything that requires flash, weird things start to happen.
You didn't say what version of Flash, but there are serious bugs in the Linux 11.2 versions of Flash, and Adobe's response has been that they no longer support Linux.

From the Wine end, try running the app in a virtual desktop.
MaTi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MaTi »

Nope that didn't help. Flash version is 11.2. Also, I've just checked, and the problem also appears if I use Google Chrome, which uses it's own version of flash plugin as far as I know.

Which means that the problem is caused either by my distro, or by WINE.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

MaTi wrote:Nope that didn't help. Flash version is 11.2.
Does downgrading to 11.1 fix it?
MaTi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MaTi »

As it turns out - the problem isn't related to flash. I've just tried on HTML5-based video and the same problem appeared. Same if I tried playing music through one of native Linux media players.

In other words - I can't have media playing in WINE and in native Lnux programs simultaneously.

Running non-media related app in WINE, like notepad for example, does not cause any problems.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

MaTi wrote:As it turns out - the problem isn't related to flash. I've just tried on HTML5-based video and the same problem appeared. Same if I tried playing music through one of native Linux media players.

In other words - I can't have media playing in WINE and in native Lnux programs simultaneously.

Running non-media related app in WINE, like notepad for example, does not cause any problems.
It's odd that playing music in Wine would trigger graphical problems. What are your system specs? Maybe your system just isn't up to the demands. Have you tried disabling desktop effects?

I can't reproduce your problem. I downloaded foobar2000, and can play it and Flash videos in native Firefox with no problem. I can even play Flash videos in Firefox in Wine and in native Firefox at the same time.

I notice you said you're using Wine 1.4; try upgrading to 1.5.5, as a lot of changes have been made since 1.4 that affect media playback. (1.5.5 is what I'm using.) If that doesn't fix it, post terminal output.
MaTi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MaTi »

After updating to WINE 1.5.5 everything seems to work fine. It's a little bit weird though, since I remember using foobar2000 on an older version of WINE and a different linux distro a while back and it worked flawlessly.

Thanks a lot for your help! I can finally use my favorite music player.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

MaTi wrote:After updating to WINE 1.5.5 everything seems to work fine. It's a little bit weird though, since I remember using foobar2000 on an older version of WINE and a different linux distro a while back and it worked flawlessly.

Thanks a lot for your help! I can finally use my favorite music player.
Glad it fixed it for you. FYI, I can't reproduce the problem on my system in 1.4, either; maybe there is a problem with the 1.4 package for your distro.
MaTi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MaTi »

Probably, since I was able to reproduce it even on live cd with freshly installed WINE. I guess I should let the distro devs know.