Network Drive configuration doesn't 'stick'

Questions about Wine on Linux
pastim
Level 2
Level 2

Network Drive configuration doesn't 'stick'

Post by pastim »

I am on Ubuntu 12.04, Wine 1.5.4.

In my drive configuration I have a network drive (an SMB connection to another system). I set this to be of Type 'network drive' in the advanced section, in the hope that Wine will realise that the network connection doesn't always exist.

A few of my applications often need to look at files on this network drive. None of my others do.

Every time I close the Wine configuration the Type is reset to 'Autodetect'. Then if the network drive does not exist for some (perfectly valid) reason, no Wine applications will run, even those that never use it. I therefore have to reconnect the network drive (which sometimes means booting that computer up).

If I could configure drives per application that would improve matters, but I can't. I'm therefore stuck. I have to map the network drive for just a few applications, and need to make sure it is up for them, but for rest of the time I don't need or want it, but I have to have it working if any Wine application is to run.

Any ideas?
dimesio

Re: Network Drive configuration doesn't 'stick'

Post by dimesio »

pastim wrote:I am on Ubuntu 12.04, Wine 1.5.4.

In my drive configuration I have a network drive (an SMB connection to another system). I set this to be of Type 'network drive' in the advanced section, in the hope that Wine will realise that the network connection doesn't always exist.
Did you also do this: http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guid ... ure#AEN725 ?
pastim
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Network Drive configuration doesn't 'stick'

Post by pastim »

dimesio wrote:Did you also do this: http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guid ... ure#AEN725 ?
Thanks, but I don't understand. I'm relatively new to Linux so please bear with me.

In the Wine configuration I mapped drive V to

Code: Select all

/home/user/.gvfs/files on 192.168.1.10
[code/]

Which is where the share appears once mounted.  Provide the share is up and mounted, it all works perfectly well, and my windows applications can use drive V: to access the data.

I don't understand the instructions you referred me to.  What is the purpose of dosdevices/unc?  That's not the same as mapping a device letter is it?  I don't know how I would get my windows programs to work with this way of defining a share in Wine.
pastim
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pastim »

I managed to create a link in ...dosdevices/unc to the share (as in http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guid ... ure#AEN725 ) but I can not see any way to access it in that form from my windows programs. Most of these require you to select a directory from a list, not enter a share such as \\xyz\folder

In ubuntu 12.04 the samba share is also not in the traditional form of '/xyz/folder', but is 'folder on xyz'. I don't see how this fits with 'unc' format path names.

So, can anyone explain the wine instructions to me?